Public Records

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

In some states in the US many things are public records, so does anyone know how things work in the Philippines? Are property and car ownership records easily available to say the news media?If so, then I think it might be quite easy for someone to do an expose on government officials and easily know who is corrupt if they own mansions and drive very expensive cars, yet only have small salaries and do not come from very wealthy families. I wonder why this is not being done? Anyone know?

TheMason
Posted
Posted
In some states in the US many things are public records, so does anyone know how things work in the Philippines? Are property and car ownership records easily available to say the news media?If so, then I think it might be quite easy for someone to do an expose on government officials and easily know who is corrupt if they own mansions and drive very expensive cars, yet only have small salaries and do not come from very wealthy families. I wonder why this is not being done? Anyone know?
The Philippines has the highest murder rate in the world amongst journalists. My guess is that is why you don't see a lot of exposes of the corruption. There are some things here you are just better off not knowing about, let alone publishing it in the paper.Property records are public record. When my wife and I talked about real estate scams and how to avoid them she said you can go down and look up the property in 'a big book' and see who the legally registered owner is. I *think* the records are kept at the barangay level or town hall level of govt, but I'm not 100% certain which level of govt. handles it. She bought a lot in the NCR years ago and said she was able to verify legal ownership that way.

Genius
Posted
Posted

They do like to murder or harass or generally make life hell for journalists don't they. We should look for some campaigning journalist and then start hosting his allegations off shore on a sealand hosted website or similar. But I guess, verifying if the allegations were true might be a problem.

The Philippines has the highest murder rate in the world amongst journalists. My guess is that is why you don't see a lot of exposes of the corruption. There are some things here you are just better off not knowing about, let alone publishing it in the paper.Property records are public record. When my wife and I talked about real estate scams and how to avoid them she said you can go down and look up the property in 'a big book' and see who the legally registered owner is. I *think* the records are kept at the barangay level or town hall level of govt, but I'm not 100% certain which level of govt. handles it. She bought a lot in the NCR years ago and said she was able to verify legal ownership that way.

daisy
Posted
Posted
This is done Lee.All Government officials and employees are required to submit their Assets and Liabilities every year. However, I have not heard of anyone who are questioned who showed some amount of unexplained wealth while connected in the Government! Anyways, here's my theory: Upon submitting it to concern agency, it will not be evaluated unless someone will take his time filling a complaint to a particular government official or employee. They will not do anything about it unless question..For the meantime, it will just remain....a FILE!:lmao: