Impressed with 5G in Davao City

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Are they offering such as nice rate in order to spur 5G phone sales?  Are you using a phone?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Gandang Smile said:

Unlimited 5G data for a week for only P299

I will mention another good deal for those that don't need 5g.  On April 1, I paid for Magic Data on SMART.  p399 for 24 gb and the key is that it never expires.  Today on June 12th I still have 19 GB left and I use it quite a bit, but using it just for simple browsing and FB while out and about.  2 GB was used in the past 2 days because we took a day trip and I used Google maps and let the family hook up their gadgets in the car.

You don't know how much data you have left unless you download the SMART Gigalife app on your phone.  It is a good app and they have promos not found elsewhere.

I am always curious when I see speedtests, and then I do mine.  I had not done this since I had a new phone with 5G capability.

On the phone:

SMART regular 3G/4G over the air: 11.8 down, 4.84 up.  Not sure how to tell if it is 3 or 4.

Connected to PLDT Fibr by Wifi 2.4 G: 32 down 41 up

Connected to PLDT Fibr by Wifi 5 G: 188 down 252 up

On the laptop:

Connected to PLDT Fibr by Wifi 2.4 G: 63 down 62 up

Connected to PLDT Fibr by Wifi 5 G: 133 down 108 up

I think the laptop connects to the 5 G wireless at N speed, which is 4G??

• Like 4

RBM
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I will mention another good deal for those that don't need 5g.  On April 1, I paid for Magic Data on SMART.  p399 for 24 gb and the key is that it never expires.  Today on June 12th I still have 19 GB left and I use it quite a bit, but using it just for simple browsing and FB while out and about.  2 GB was used in the past 2 days because we took a day trip and I used Google maps and let the family hook up their gadgets in the car.

You don't know how much data you have left unless you download the SMART Gigalife app on your phone.  It is a good app and they have promos not found elsewhere.

I am always curious when I see speedtests, and then I do mine.  I had not done this since I had a new phone with 5G capability.

On the phone:

SMART regular 3G/4G over the air: 11.8 down, 4.84 up.  Not sure how to tell if it is 3 or 4.

Connected to PLDT Fibr by Wifi 2.4 G: 32 down 41 up

Connected to PLDT Fibr by Wifi 5 G: 188 down 252 up

On the laptop:

Connected to PLDT Fibr by Wifi 2.4 G: 63 down 62 up

Connected to PLDT Fibr by Wifi 5 G: 133 down 108 up

I think the laptop connects to the 5 G wireless at N speed, which is 4G??

We use gomo which is pretty much the same. As its faster than globe or smart (via Cell tower) we use it also as our main connection. Agree super handy when out and about.

• Like 3

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 6/12/2021 at 11:33 AM, OnMyWay said:

Are they offering such as nice rate in order to spur 5G phone sales?  Are you using a phone?

Not sure it's because they want to sell more 5G phones. I have a Samsung Galaxy S21, initially I wanted to go for a 4G phone as I wasn't sure about the speed of the 5G network here. Don't regret paying the little extra.

Edited by Gandang Smile

• 3 months later...
OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 6/12/2021 at 12:14 PM, OnMyWay said:

Update on this.  My 24 GB is has about 12 GB left, after 5.5 months.  I use it a lot, I think.  Great deal!

Also, I got it for my wife too, so it is rare that we need to make phone calls.  We just use FB messenger for almost all messages and calls.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Just throwing this in here - Globe are offering to double current speed for just an extra 200php a month for current customers.  It's only available on the app, not in-store.  I applied on Sunday and today my speed is up to 70mbps - previously 35mbps - for 2099php (was 1899php).  I think that's a great deal if you are a current Globe customer.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Update on this.  My 24 GB is has about 12 GB left, after 5.5 months.  I use it a lot, I think.  Great deal!

Also, I got it for my wife too, so it is rare that we need to make phone calls.  We just use FB messenger for almost all messages and calls.

I use magic data but not much as never out much these days anyway. But I always turn off data when I get home as the phone connects to the wifi so if I need abit of data while out its still on the phone. Better than these expire in a certain time deals.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 9/15/2021 at 7:58 PM, Jollygoodfellow said:

I use magic data but not much as never out much these days anyway. But I always turn off data when I get home as the phone connects to the wifi so if I need abit of data while out its still on the phone. Better than these expire in a certain time deals.

That is why it is perfect for us.  When we are out and about it is on all the time, but not used much, so it lasts a long, long time.  For p399, mine will probably last almost a year.  Also, I leave mine on all the time, so if I walk outside my house or into a wifi dead spot, it kicks in.

• Like 1