Seeds: Vegetables And Plants

Gold Heart
Posted
Posted

Does anyone know where one can purchase seeds? .... even better seedlings?I wanted to start a patio garden with herbs, peppers, tomatoes, etc.I'm in Cebu and don't know where I would go to find. I stopped at one of the garden places and they only sell ornamental plants.ThanksRon - Gold Heart

johnb
Posted
Posted

Hi Ron, you can pick up a variety of seeds from the gardening section in most major hardware stores, [where they sell shovels, hoses etc] mostly Vegetables and herb seeds but also some flowers. there's quite some local vegetables and herbs that grow prolifically around the Philippines we have a few in our garden if you

Gold Heart
Posted
Posted

John,Thanks! I assume you mean like Ace or True Value Hardware? I did not think to look there. I will do that today.I would certainly be interested in any seeds and seedlings you have that are suitable for patio / pot gardening.I don't have land to plant the deep rooted things like pumpkin but the herbs especially those that grow prolifically given my lack of green thumb would be terrific and I'd be most grateful.You can email me directly parkerr@ymail.com on how and where we might meet.ThanksRon AKA Gold Heart

Hi Ron, you can pick up a variety of seeds from the gardening section in most major hardware stores, [where they sell shovels, hoses etc] mostly Vegetables and herb seeds but also some flowers. there's quite some local vegetables and herbs that grow prolifically around the Philippines we have a few in our garden if you'd like some cuttings, we did have more but now that were building again a lot of stuff has been lost under excavations.I also have a collection of seeds that need to be used as there approaching these use by date, if you or any other member are interested you'd be welcome to have them, they include: Pumpkin [Jarrahdale], Cucumber [crystal apple], Chives, Cucumber [Richmond river], Bean [blue lake], Pigeon pea, Rossela, Rock melon, SilverbeetPumpkin squash, Night sented jasmine, Parsley [triple curl], Parsley [kaebug], Pumpkin [Waitham B], Tomato [black Russian], Beetroot [Detroit], beetroot [chiogga], Capsicum, Pie Melon Regards John

johnb
Posted
Posted
John,Thanks! I assume you mean like Ace or True Value Hardware? I did not think to look there. I will do that today.I would certainly be interested in any seeds and seedlings you have that are suitable for patio / pot gardening.I don't have land to plant the deep rooted things like pumpkin but the herbs especially those that grow prolifically given my lack of green thumb would be terrific and I'd be most grateful.You can email me directly parkerr@ymail.com on how and where we might meet.ThanksRon AKA Gold Heart
Hi Ron, you can pick up a variety of seeds from the gardening section in most major hardware stores, [where they sell shovels, hoses etc] mostly Vegetables and herb seeds but also some flowers. there's quite some local vegetables and herbs that grow prolifically around the Philippines we have a few in our garden if you'd like some cuttings, we did have more but now that were building again a lot of stuff has been lost under excavations.I also have a collection of seeds that need to be used as there approaching these use by date, if you or any other member are interested you'd be welcome to have them, they include: Pumpkin [Jarrahdale], Cucumber [crystal apple], Chives, Cucumber [Richmond river], Bean [blue lake], Pigeon pea, Rossela, Rock melon, SilverbeetPumpkin squash, Night sented jasmine, Parsley [triple curl], Parsley [kaebug], Pumpkin [Waitham B], Tomato [black Russian], Beetroot [Detroit], beetroot [chiogga], Capsicum, Pie Melon Regards John
Hi Ron, Yes Ace, truevalue, handyman [ robinsons] they all have seeds, some local stuff that you can google is kalamungay and Gotocola, Kalamungay grows everywhere but might be restrained by growing in a pot, the Gotocola is a ground coverage plant and should do well in a plant trough, we have others here including lemon grass, I'm busy next week with the building project, I'll get in touch towards the end of the week, and we can arrange a visit for the following week, [i live in Bulacao Pardo].John

Gold Heart
Posted
Posted

Report on Findings from the recommendations.I did find seeds at True Value in SM. Local vegetables bakchoi, tomato, Kangkong, cucumber, etc. The only herbs available were a special potted Basil and Spring onion. There were no seeds at Ace Hardware in Ayala. I will look at the hardware in Robinsons Osmena later this week to see what they have. So far some success but still wanting.ThanksRon

johnb
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi Ron, if you want any of the seeds that I mentioned in an earlier post your most welcome, I'm busy again this week, trying to get a building water tight and spruced up before the onslaught of the relatives on Xmas day. however its my wife who really knows the plants so if you want to pay us a visit sometime this week let me know when its good for you and we'll work round that, unfortunatly weve lost a lot of our plants under building rubble and soil from the digging of foundations, but we still have a few plants that you could take clippings from. [regarding seeds in Hardware stores, I think its the same company that provides the seed racks for all of the hardware stores, so once you've seen one rack you've seen them all.]once we know your coming I'll send a map to your email address,regards John

Edited by johnb

• 3 weeks later...
Gold Heart
Posted
Posted

Seed Update:Thanks to JohnB -- I found seeds in the hardware store (Ace in SM) and he generously provided some plants, seeds and clippings that are in process. I hope to return the favor to other members that may be looking to try this hobby some day.From John, I learned about a miracle Malunggay plant and he provided some clippings that I hope will sprout. This is an amazing plant /vegetable that I have added to my favorites here. I find Malunggay leaves in most of the grocery stores here and we try to eat regularly. I had been unable to find traditional herbs until just before Christmas. I discovered a little shop in the Banilad town center vender area that has the traditional herbs including: basil, thyme, rosemary, dill, and many others. You can't find these in the stores.For anyone looking to find these in the area, I just wanted to pass on what I found. I have yet to achieve success but at least 4 the of the 6 herbs I planted are off to a good start. Maybe the birds got the other seeds before the sprouted. I'll just keep trying if I fail. These may be the most expensive herbs in the world but I will enjoy the attempt.