Third floor Water Tank needs cleaning

jimeve
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 9/3/2019 at 10:02 PM, Tommy T. said:

If your roof is fairly clean, you could filter and process that water? Or too much stuff falling on it and too much expense?

Even if not for drinking I assume you will at least screen it finely for chunky bits of things. Make sure your tank(s) can be opened for periodic cleaning too?

It just seems like a wonderful idea for those with little to no water pressure or supply. But it can be expensive and a hassle to set up too...

Could you please update about that as you go? I am interested to see what you do and how you do it. I am good with yachts, but not so much with homes, and especially not here.

Old thread but..... I need to clean a 2000 liter tank which is located on the 3 rd floor. The water inside in a bit murky, keeps staining the toilets.

On'y used for washing pots and flushing toilet (non potable) Any advise appreciable.

Edited by Old55
Split into new topic

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, jimeve said:

Old thread but..... I need to clean a 2000 liter tank which is located on the 3 rd floor. The water inside in a bit murky, keeps staining the toilets.

On'y used for washing pots and flushing toilet (non potable) Any advise appreciable.

Hi Jim... My suggestion would be to have someone go inside the tank (if possible) or else you need a brush with a long enough handle to reach everywhere. Use a fairly strong solution of bleach with water. The product "Cleanup" would also work well or perhaps "Soft Scrub with bleach." It will then need to be rinsed thoroughly to get rid of any residual bleach.

I assume the water is collected from roof runoff? If so, you might run it all out from time to time and periodically add some bleach - but I don't know how much would be recommended. Prevention is a bit of a hassle, but much easier than what you are facing with a major scrubbing... Good luck!

• Thanks 2

graham59
Posted
Posted

Also have a look at Potassium Permanganate powder (used for cleaning aquaria and fish ponds, etc).  Kinder than bleach. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, jimeve said:

I need to clean a 2000 liter tank which is located on the 3 rd floor.

Street urchin with a tooth brush! :hystery:

But seriously folks. Besides flushing it out it might be a loosing battle. I dont know how things are in Duma. But I have noticed over the years that when the water company does pipe maintenance, they did the hole, open up the pipe, let the muddy water in the hole enter the water pipes as they conduct repairs. The water for the next few days is very dirty. Just one of those things we have learned to live with :whatever:

• Sad 2

Reboot
Posted
Posted
On 8/18/2021 at 6:32 AM, graham59 said:

Also have a look at Potassium Permanganate powder (used for cleaning aquaria and fish ponds, etc).  Kinder than bleach. 

I use Pot Perm in my water system in FL. We are on a well.  Removes iron deposits.

• Like 4

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Reboot said:

I use Pot Perm in my water system in FL. We are on a well.  Removes iron deposits.

I use it here for cleaning fish tanks, it works well.  

As an aside it's also used to treat various bacterial and fungal skin infections in a very diluted form (don't try that at home without knowing what you're doing or you could end up with skin burns).

• Like 3