FYI: Time Flow Chart - Largest Immigrant Groups in Philippines

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

Not sure of the data source or validity.  Maybe the comments section was as interesting as the active charting.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I wonder how they define "immigrant"?

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I wonder how they define "immigrant"?

I will be very, very politically incorrect here.

china with their 1 child policy are running out of women. I dont count brides as immigrants. Japan and south korea have very strict citizenship requirements, as in china is suspect these are either brides, or OFW's which are not immigrants. I suspect that the majority of those in Africa and the near east are also OFW's

I will wage that we all have relatives either in the US, UK, AUS or Western Europe where immigrants are welcome. Does anybody have a family member who has settled in Africa and are sending for the rest of the family?

i dont think so.png

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

OFW's who's contracts have ended and Filipinos returning home to retire?

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I was surprised to see North Korea immigrants living here but found a possible explanation.

From Wikipedia -   The Philippines has in the past been used as a transit point for North Korean refugees, often arriving from China and then being sent on to South Korea.A 2005 US embassy cable released by WikiLeaks suggested that for 2 years, the South Korean embassy in Beijing facilitated the transit of nearly 500 refugees annually to the Ninoy Aquino International Airport for transfer to South Korea. As of 2010, there are 4,846 North Koreans in the Philippines. The country has been hard to reach due to the fact refugees have to cross China and get on a boat to the island chain nation.

So they escape to China, China sends them here to the Philippines, and then they are sent on to South Korea.

• Like 2

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

Interesting. Surprised to see North Korea in the ranking. More of them than Canadian, UK or Australian?!

graham59
Posted
Posted

My 6th sense tells me that the figures are BS... but then stats in the Phils must be accurate, mustn't they ? :89:

• Haha 1

Major Tom
Posted
Posted
On 11/10/2021 at 4:51 PM, Mike J said:

From Wikipedia -   The Philippines has in the past been used as a transit point for North Korean refugees, often arriving from China and then being sent on to South Korea.

This raises questions in my mind. Why is China sending North Koreans to South Korea, instead of sending them back to North Korea? I can only think of nefarious reasons for China doing so, if in fact they are doing this.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Slim Jim said:

This raises questions in my mind. Why is China sending North Koreans to South Korea, instead of sending them back to North Korea? I can only think of nefarious reasons for China doing so, if in fact they are doing this.

I don't think their it is really anything nefarious.  These are almost certainly people who want to escape North Korea and go to South Korea.  There is virtually no chance they can make it via the DMZ so sneak into China.  China does not want the international repercussion of sending them back but wants to maintain a relationship with North Korea so they also will not send to South Korea.  So they send them to the closest "neutral" country which is the Philippines.  From here they move onto South Korea.  Basically a kind of international "don't ask, don't" tell way of avoiding diplomatic conflict that could escalate.

• Like 3