Philippine Economy Comparisons w/ Thailand, Vietnam and Bangladesh

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

I found these video programs had certain aspects of interest, given that pending ex-pats often are trying to compare the Philippines to other SE Asian countries for possible retirement options. They provide some areas of interest in the bigger picture. I included Bangladesh for a down-stream comparison. Feel free to compare particular aspects and comment if interested.

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I remember reading a story not so long ago that some of the senators here are saying that a foreign company should be allowed to fully own a company as opposed the the current situation where they can only own ( I think) 40%. If they were alowed to own it would encourage investment and create more meaningful employment, which would be good for the economy here.

I saw Thailand allow this and in 20 years their economy improved greatly.

• Like 4

Major Tom
Posted
Posted
On 12/11/2021 at 12:10 PM, sonjack2847 said:

I remember reading a story not so long ago that some of the senators here are saying that a foreign company should be allowed to fully own a company as opposed the the current situation where they can only own ( I think) 40%. If they were alowed to own it would encourage investment and create more meaningful employment, which would be good for the economy here.

I saw Thailand allow this and in 20 years their economy improved greatly.

The reluctance to allow foreigners to fully control a foreign-owned company in the Philippines reminds me of what President Quezon said in 1939.

“I would rather have a government run like hell by Filipinos than a government run like heaven by Americans.”

Now replace government with company, and replace Americans with foreigners:

I would rather have a company run like hell by Filipinos than a company run like heaven by foreigners.

https://www.officialgazette.gov.ph/1939/12/09/speech-of-president-quezon-on-civil-liberties-december-9-1939/

hk blues
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Slim Jim said:

The reluctance to allow foreigners to fully control a foreign-owned company in the Philippines reminds me of what President Quezon said in 1939.

“I would rather have a government run like hell by Filipinos than a government run like heaven by Americans.”

Now replace government with company, and replace Americans with foreigners:

I would rather have a company run like hell by Filipinos than a company run like heaven by foreigners.

https://www.officialgazette.gov.ph/1939/12/09/speech-of-president-quezon-on-civil-liberties-december-9-1939/

To be honest, I'd now rephrase that to “I would rather have a government run like hell by Filipinos than a government run like hell by Foreigners.”

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

President Quezon got his wish. 

• Love it 2