Breeding, Racing Pigeons

Batlash_PH
Posted
Posted

I have 4 Pigeons I got from local racers a few months ago, all young birds. Some will be old enough to breed next month. Just wondering if anyone here has or had pigeons. I currently live in Towerville, San Jose Del Monte, Bulacan. We bought property in Nueva Ecija and plan to move up there early next year.

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

You would need to ask around your local area if there is such a group.  Just mention your interest in the hobby/sport of racing pigeons without saying you already have a few birds.  The reason for a group's low profile is so as not to attract the attention of potential robbers. 

My father raised pigeons at the farm to sell squabs to Chinese restaurants.  While it was a commercial venture, I recall meeting pigeon fanciers including some who had racing birds and the more exotic birds like fantail pigeons.  There was also a pen at the farm with bleeding heart pigeons from Palawan, loved by visitors after being told the red feathers developed when a pigeon witnessed the death of Jesus Christ.  Last I heard the bleeding heart in the Philippines is nearly extinct.

Anyway, I am sure there are groups.  The problem is locating them.

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Not a big fan of racing pigeons, I have seen flocks exercising just before dusk in the PI's so there will be some sort of guild there. I suppose it's just a matter of finding them, maybe Facebook might help. :0009pky:

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Clermont said:

I have seen flocks exercising just before dusk in the PI's so there will be some sort of guild there.

On 12/23/2021 at 2:52 AM, Batlash_PH said:

Bulacan

Right down the street from us is the local chapter of a racing association. About every two weeks local racers bring their birds in cages. They are all loaded onto a specialized truck and taken to the release point. I am in Metro Manila and I know that once the release point was in Legaspi (southern end of Luzon) and once they even took a ferry to the island of Mindoro. These guys are serious and pretty well organized. 

If you have any specific questions I will be happy to take a walk down there and ask them. :thumbsup:

A funny side note, I did ask one guy if the birds find their way home okay. (being ignorant of this sport) He said usually yes,,,,but the biggest danger is little kids that hang around the release points with nets....Seems they net the birds and sell them on the black market :hystery:

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Clermont said:

Not a big fan of racing pigeons, I have seen flocks exercising just before dusk

Bats maybe?  Millions take off at dusk to feast on insects.  

• Like 1

Batlash_PH
Posted
Posted

I am hoping to find other expats that are into the sport.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, JJReyes said:

You would need to ask around your local area if there is such a group.  Just mention your interest in the hobby/sport of racing pigeons without saying you already have a few birds.  The reason for a group's low profile is so as not to attract the attention of potential robbers. 

Not sure about that as if you do a Facebook group search including the term "Philippines" you get several groups. One has 33k members so hardly a secret.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Batlash_PH said:

I am hoping to find other expats that are into the sport.

I doubt if you will find many. Never heard it mentioned here before.

• Sad 1