Only Cebu residents allowed to travel to Cebu after typhoon

KenM
Posted
Posted (edited)

https://cebudailynews.inquirer.net/417812/inbound-overseas-arrivals-limited-to-cebu-residents-for-the-meantime

CEBU CITY, Philippines – Starting this December 23, the Mactan-Cebu International Airport (MCIA) will only accept travelers from abroad who are residents of Cebu.

This after Cebu Gov. Gwendolyn Garcia on December 20 issued Executive Order (EO) No. 49, limiting the entry of international arrivals to Cebu residents.

Garcia, in a press conference, said the move, which she called a “Cebuanos First” policy, was made in order to address the scarcity of hotel rooms in the island province.

“We will accept only Cebuano residents or those with Cebuano families to come home to until our hotel room situation shall have improved” said Garcia.

Arriving passengers will have to present their valid identification card (ID) and fill up a declaration form in which they will indicate their destination here in Cebu.

The provincial government will also implement its swab-upon-arrival rule wherein those who will test negative of the infection will be released, and will undergo another round of swab test on the 5th day.

Hundreds of individuals in Cebu now occupy hotel rooms for shelter and electricity following the destruction left by Typhoon Odette (international name: Rai).

“This is a crisis situation. And as I said, Cebuanos also need these hotel rooms, so I am declaring a policy of Cebu first. We must first take care of our own,” Garcia pointed out.

“If the hotel can no longer keep up with the hygiene and sanitation requirements, because of limitation of resources an manpower and limitation of electricity, fuel, then we might have outbreak in our hands and that will only compound to the severity of our situation right now,” she added.

The Capitol’s new order, however, is only temporary and will only last until January 3, 2022.

“Meaning in the meantime, for ten days from December 23 until January 3rd (non-Cebu residents will not be accommodated in MCIA) because of this present situation right here, we are not normal,” she explained.

MCIA has reopened last December 19 for domestic flights and is expected to do so for international flights today, Tuesday (December 21).

The governor already met with representatives from concerned national government agencies and hoteliers from the Hotel Resort Restaurant Association of Cebu (HRRAC) to discuss concerns over the influx of Returning Overseas Filipinos (ROFs) and Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) amid the crisis caused by Odette.

The entire Cebu is under state of calamity due to the devastation caused by Odette.

Read more: https://cebudailynews.inquirer.net/417812/inbound-overseas-arrivals-limited-to-cebu-residents-for-the-meantime#ixzz7GR2rJ2qa

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
Please do not just post a link. The whole story needs to be posted.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• KenM changed the title to Only Cebu residents allowed to travel to Cebu after typhoon
BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Well glad I spotted this, about to book my tickets for arrival in about 2 weeks and was going to enter through Cebu.  I'll have to investigate options in Manila and Davao now.  

• Like 3

Joey G
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, BrettGC said:

Well glad I spotted this, about to book my tickets for arrival in about 2 weeks and was going to enter through Cebu.  I'll have to investigate options in Manila and Davao now.

The article says the restriction ends 3 January.  

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Joey G said:

And it could change very quickly.

As for Brett, I think we will be back to some sort of normality by 2 or so weeks.

• Like 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Joey G said:

As Tom says, it's a pretty fluid (no pun intended) situation.

2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

And it could change very quickly.

As for Brett, I think we will be back to some sort of normality by 2 or so weeks.

That's when I'm looking at flying.  Given the uncertainty at the moment in Cebu I'll probably just bite the bullet make my booking in the next day or so for Manila (direct from Sydney with PAL) and do my 5-6 days there then head down to Dumaguete.  Pity, was hoping to catch up mate and since there's no water the only reasonable option I can see is beer :cheersty:.  Oh well, next time. 

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, BrettGC said:

Pity, was hoping to catch up mate and since there's no water the only reasonable option I can see is beer :cheersty:.  Oh well, next time. 

Most water service's are back online in the city and water in bottles is now appearing in stores but I like your thinking.

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
On 12/31/2021 at 8:25 AM, BrettGC said:

As Tom says, it's a pretty fluid (no pun intended) situation.

That's when I'm looking at flying.  Given the uncertainty at the moment in Cebu I'll probably just bite the bullet make my booking in the next day or so for Manila (direct from Sydney with PAL) and do my 5-6 days there then head down to Dumaguete.  Pity, was hoping to catch up mate and since there's no water the only reasonable option I can see is beer :cheersty:.  Oh well, next time. 

If you two get to gether drinking in Cebu city then I suggest we set up a go fund me post for Bail money.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

If you two get to gether drinking in Cebu city then I suggest we set up a go fund me post for Bail money.

lol.

Now there talking about Manila going to alert level three and if traveling to Cebu, what they will do with travelers from alert level 3 areas so probably close the gates since we in Cebu city only had 9 new active cases reported yesterday.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

lol.

Now there talking about Manila going to alert level three and if traveling to Cebu, what they will do with travelers from alert level 3 areas so probably close the gates since we in Cebu city only had 9 new active cases reported yesterday.

Makes me woder who is bringing it to the PH.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

Makes me woder who is bringing it to the PH.

Most of it is already here and just spreading. Must be comming up to end of shelf life soon.