PAL Cancelled Flight to Hong Kong In March

bob1965
Posted
Posted

I’m supposed to fly via hk in April. Got a maybe not e mail yesterday. Transit passengers not allowed till mid March. And who knows after that. So…the Philippines is open. Sort of.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

this country and others are at the live with it stage

Our health minister in BC Canada announced something similar.  She said people are still dying of Covid but shrugs as if they have given up trying to save them.

My 86 year old mother had all the symptoms of Covid a couple of weeks ago so I took her to the hospital.  They said to me "I don't know why you are bringing her here, there is nothing we can do for her".  So . .  basically everyone has given up and decided its like a flu.

My mother seems to be recovered now and 2 tests have been negative for Covid.  But 2 doctors said she probably had it and the test was wrong.

Oops.  This is off topic but I will leave it here as it feels good to spit it out.  Be safe everyone.

• Like 4

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

So . .  basically everyone has given up and decided its like a flu.

The delay was about giving everyone a chance to be fully vaccinated (in most places anyway).  Now that people have well and truly had that chance (at least in 1st world and most 2nd world countries) then there isn't much more to be done.

And hospitals really can't do a lot unless someone's oxygen is well down on where it should be... that's just the way it is.  The few drugs available are mostly aimed at seriously ill people or people who are yet to become symptomatic (and most people don't present without symptoms).  Monoclonal antibody therapy is in very short supply and tends to be reserved for people with compromised immune systems as a result of the lack of supply.

I'm sorry about your mother but realistically unless she needs supplemental oxygen there really wasn't anything a hospital could have done for her.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 3

bob1965
Posted
Posted
On 2/24/2022 at 5:48 AM, Jollygoodfellow said:

Unless some major factor like a new strain killing everyone to me it looks like this country and others are at the live with it stage so I can only see things getting better.

Not for me…cathay just cancelled my flight. And it’s so close all the other options are crazy expensive. Guess I’ll be delaying a month or two.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, bob1965 said:

Not for me…cathay just cancelled my flight. And it’s so close all the other options are crazy expensive. Guess I’ll be delaying a month or two.

Canceled flight will have nothing to do with covid situation here. 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, bob1965 said:

cathay just cancelled my flight

That's because the Hong Kong government decided not to allow flights from Canada or the Philippines for an additional month (at least)

• Like 1