Slave labor for strays

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Good to see these dogs put to good use.

Rescued dogs in QC now being trained as community service dogs

Stray dogs in Quezon City will soon become salutary members of the community as the Quezon City Veterinary Department (QCVD) started training them as service dogs.

Based on the QCVD report, the city rescues up to 57 dogs per day, including those surrendered by their owners. All are sheltered and listed as candidates for rehabilitation and adoption to become pets of QCitizen families, emotional support dogs, or even explosive detection dogs.

“Before training them, our veterinarians make sure that the rescued animals undergo comprehensive assessment, health check, and even temperament test. This is for us to determine if a dog is suitable as a pet or a community service canine,” said Mayor Joy Belmonte.

Each dog will undergo a three-day observation and a Safety Assessment for Evaluating Rehoming (SAFER) test that identifies the dog’s comfort level with restraint and touch, reaction to new experiences including movement and sound stimuli, bite inhibition, behavior around food and toys, and arousal level toward other dogs.

They will also be screened for common disease conditions such as Parvovirus, Distemper, Transmissible Venereal Tumor and Mange and parasitism. Only healthy dogs will be qualified for the Rehabilitation and Adoption Program.

Likewise, dogs that have satisfactorily passed the assessment are put up for immediate adoption and some are further trained as emotional support and community service dogs and undergo training on basic behavior, obedience and socialization.
“Since the establishment of the QC Animal Care and Adoption Center in November, the city has already partnered with the Quezon City Police District and Bureau of Fire Protection. These agencies will be the first recipients of selected sheltered dogs that they will further train as drug, bomb-sniffing, and rescue dogs,” the mayor added.

According to City Veterinarian Dr. Ana Marie Cabel, the animals are also assigned to trainers that will oversee their daily progress to establish their suitability for placement in different city government-run institutions including community care and rehabilitation facilities.

Aside from these, the city is also collaborating with various animal groups to increase pet adoption and provide every animal a new family.

Read more: https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/?p=1561126#ixzz7MCBqWrJn

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

the city rescues up to 57 dogs per day, including those surrendered by their owners

They may have some luck with dogs surrendered by their owners but training rescued strays is a tough job.  The idea is great though.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
On 3/1/2022 at 12:23 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

They may have some luck with dogs surrendered by their owners but training rescued strays is a tough job.  The idea is great though.

I am fairly certain that will be a well intentioned project that ends up in the trash bin.

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 3/1/2022 at 12:23 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

it would depend on the age of a stray, I doubt if they would train older strays. Some stray dogs I have interacted with here are quite nice and seem like they would make good pets but like anything, the longer your kicked while down the worse you become so many wont be suitable.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 3/2/2022 at 6:09 AM, Mike J said:

I am fairly certain that will be a well intentioned project that ends up in the trash bin.

Bet it wont, got to give things time.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

it would depend on the age of a stray, I doubt if they would train older strays. Some stray dogs I have interacted with here are quite nice and seem like they would make good pets but like anything, the longer your kicked while down the worse you become so many wont be suitable.

The only way to truly tackle the stray dog problem is a low cost, better yet free, spay and neuter program.  About four months ago we adopted an Aspin puppy that had been abandoned.  She had apparently been left on the beach, maybe to drown when the tide came in?  She had crawled up into a small opening in the sea wall and cried all night.  Found her cold, wet, hungry, exhausted, and afraid of people.  Was able to take her home and get her fed, bathed, and treated for fleas and ticks.  She has turned into a wonderful loving pet and gets along fine with our other two dogs and two cats.  Had her spayed last week and she is doing fine but maybe getting a bit spoiled?  Not sure if she is going to give me back my chair. :hystery:

IMG_20220228_081655.jpg

• Love it 3

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Prior to us having our own house my gf and me stayed in the main house where the original noodle factory was located, of course being a supply of food there, the askals and feral cats were plentiful.

‘Also in residence there were 2 pedigree dogs belonging to the parents, and our recently purchased Belgians.

To get any of the employees, gatekeeper, maids in the main kitchen to keep the dogs water bowls full of water, or even partially filled required me to rant, rave and basically lose my cool at the people concerned. To which point it came my job.

I came to the conclusion that really no one gives a damn about animals here, they are quite happy to let them breed.

Further to this there has been a surge in restaurants along the beach front here, some sort of tourism push.

We went to a local one where we know the owner, where I mentioned the number of stray dogs and cats roaming around the restaurants begging for food, full of mange and starving. So I asked the man do the health inspectors come around at all and what do they say about all the animals “You are not in your home country now, money talks here and gets things done, including a license to operate”.

Enough said.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Mike J said:

The only way to truly tackle the stray dog problem is a low cost, better yet free, spay and neuter program.  About four months ago we adopted an Aspin puppy that had been abandoned.  She had apparently been left on the beach, maybe to drown when the tide came in?  She had crawled up into a small opening in the sea wall and cried all night.  Found her cold, wet, hungry, exhausted, and afraid of people.  Was able to take her home and get her fed, bathed, and treated for fleas and ticks.  She has turned into a wonderful loving pet and gets along fine with our other two dogs and two cats.  Had her spayed last week and she is doing fine but maybe getting a bit spoiled?  Not sure if she is going to give me back my chair. :hystery:

IMG_20220228_081655.jpg

Great story!

One evening we saw a stray pup by the river.  It was being fed as we could see empty food containers and seemed happy enough to jump around and be petted by passers by.  Our neighbour, who already has 10+ dogs, appeared home with the very dog one evening.  She then proceeded to tie it up in the waste ground opposite where the poor thing barked non-stop for attention for a couple of days. It was better off where it was IMO.

She took it to her place in the country after a couple of days, luckily.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 3/4/2022 at 7:40 AM, Mike J said:

free, spay and neuter program

I do see that advertised at times. Cebu seems to have it twice a month. I think sometimes its free and others low cost.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100069103724408

• Like 1