Mazda 3 Car rims

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

About 4 years ago we bought a Mazda 3 from a relative in Manila, low mileage, looked after never been in a crash.

This car car came with alloy wheels and low profile tyres, which at the time didn’t bother me until I had to repeatedly change out the suspension and just changed out the third set of rear shockers, now this car has only done 60,000kms.

So I got to thinking that these rims on the car might be good for the freeways in Manila but not so good for the goat tracks with pot holes and the like out here in the province, it is my GF’s  car and I know she ties to avoid these pot holes but it is the rocky roads that I think is giving this car a beating.

As the tyres are rooted I am thinking of putting normal passenger car tyres on it next, which would mean increasing the tyre size from 205/50R to 205/65R!

Thoughts from the brains trust please, apart from buying a jeepney.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

15 inch wheels and 195/60 profile tyres, which will look a bit crap but will have sufficient sidewall to absorb most impacts.

There is a reason it's the standard size on so many vehicles in the Philippines.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Would it not be better to change the rims back to standard? 

• Like 4

graham59
Posted
Posted

Agree. 

Fit a set of standard rims and tyres. The (original/standard)) tyres and rims are designed along with the standard suspension, bushes, etc,  to cope with varying road conditions, and to fit correctly within the car's bodywork, while giving a safe, comfortable ride.  

• Like 2

graham59
Posted
Posted

Here I am doing a little upgrading of suspension, bushes, and braking system, BUT it is a sports car, not a family 'daily driver'. :wink:

1474407_10202738153315396_1467391644_n.jpg

• Like 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Thanks everyone back to standard it goes.

• Like 2

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Hunted around for some 16” rims in the nearby big city, no luck at all.

On a side note the drive there of 2 hours on properly sealed roads (as smooth as a baby’s bum) showed what the car is really like, smooth ride, handled well. Back in the province the speed was reduced to 20 km per hour, so as not to destroy what suspension parts have been replaced to date.

So I guess I will start searching the internet for rims in Manila.

• Like 3