Filipino Tri-cycles

Michael Wackers
Posted
Posted

Hello, I'm a 72-year-old amputee from Germany who has lived in the Philippines since 2018. Unfortunately my degree of amputation, stumpless disarticulation, makes it impossible for me to use a tricycle here in the Philippines as the seats are positioned so low that I cannot rise without substantial lifting assistance (unlike in Thailand where I could climb onto a tuk-tuk and easily climb down again).

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Michael Wackers said:

so low that I cannot rise without substantial lifting assistance

Welcome Mike.

My wife has similar problems with trikes, on the rare occasion we use them she sits "side saddle" behind the driver and I crawl into the sidecar,,,what fun lol

baronapart
Posted
Posted

Me in a trike))))

37758477_203060960351533_4893767586254159872_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
On 5/14/2022 at 9:13 AM, Michael Wackers said:

Hello, I'm a 72-year-old amputee from Germany who has lived in the Philippines since 2018. Unfortunately my degree of amputation, stumpless disarticulation, makes it impossible for me to use a tricycle here in the Philippines as the seats are positioned so low that I cannot rise without substantial lifting assistance (unlike in Thailand where I could climb onto a tuk-tuk and easily climb down again).

Unfortunately Philippines is probably not a great place to live for people with disabilities. In Philippines I have rarely seen the adjustments that is normal in many western countries, to make life easier for people that need them.

Hopefully this will be better in the future but I am afraid it will take a long time before we will see any improvements.

• Like 5

Youngster
Posted
Posted
On 5/14/2022 at 12:13 AM, Michael Wackers said:

An e-trike may be your option.  I've seen a few expats driving or being driven around by their wives/girlfriends around town.  It cost around 30-40k pesos.

• Like 2

Clermont
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Youngster said:

An e-trike may be your option.

We're over here at the moment and we bought an E bike 50 K, I'm a bit unsteady on the pins and can't walk a big distance, I wouldn't be without it, 1 driver 2 backseat passengers, range of about 50/60 KM also has the advantage of making them ignorant PI,s walk around you instead of over you, haha.  

On 5/14/2022 at 3:13 PM, Michael Wackers said:

Hello, I'm a 72-year-old amputee from Germany who has lived in the Philippines since 2018.

Well Michael you have an advantage over us Ozie's, our bloody knees stick out side the frame when were in the drivers seat, there built for Chinese and bloody little ones at that.  :laugh:

• Like 1