Importing personal items - authorized representative B.I.R.

SamMindanao
Posted
Posted

Hi folks,  newbie here looking for advice info on importing my personal household stuff into the Philippines from the U.K.

I've  been in touch with Customs and the B.i.R. who gave me a list of the documentary requirements and suggested I get an authorized representative as the docs need to be submitted in person in Manila, and I'm in Mindanao😕

I've searched Google without success for an authorized representative has anyone been through this process and used an authorized representative, if so who did you use?

Also a large part of my belongings is made up of my vinyl record collection some 2000+ has anyone else imported, as I read somewhere that collectibles are not exempt from duty, is this so as when I mentioned to the B.I.R. they didn't say anything?

Thanks in advance for advice/info!

Sam

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum Sam.

I can't help you with the customs and BIR contact or information. Will you use a container?

I've sent several 100 LP's in Balikbayan boxes without issues but that doesn't answer your question. I will say this..... Build wooden boxes to safely ship them in that's what I did and they did arrive Okay.

There is a small but active audiophile community here in Philippines.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, SamMindanao said:

Hi folks,  newbie here looking for advice info on importing my personal household stuff into the Philippines from the U.K.

I've  been in touch with Customs and the B.i.R. who gave me a list of the documentary requirements and suggested I get an authorized representative as the docs need to be submitted in person in Manila, and I'm in Mindanao😕

I've searched Google without success for an authorized representative has anyone been through this process and used an authorized representative, if so who did you use?

Also a large part of my belongings is made up of my vinyl record collection some 2000+ has anyone else imported, as I read somewhere that collectibles are not exempt from duty, is this so as when I mentioned to the B.I.R. they didn't say anything?

Thanks in advance for advice/info!

Sam

I imported my household stuff from the UK to Hong Kong and then Hong Kong to the Philippines so I've some experience albeit not exactly mirroring yours. 

In both cases we used a shipping company who handled everything, including all customs etc documentation.  Each shipping company had their local affiliate so no need to restrict yourself to the global shippers. 

I guess the 1st question is how do you intend to get the stuff from the UK to here - are you going to use a shipper and if so I'd suggest you only use one which will deal with all such stuff.  

P.S. Expect to pay some additional fees above quoted amount - we were hit with an unexpected $350 fee for "expedited release" from the port here! 

• Like 2

Freebie
Posted
Posted

In my experience I used a shipping agent who handled customs. And that was fun.. I had a dining table purchased in Philippines and some old antique upboards also bought in Philippines then taken to various other countries......When bringing into Philippines I asked for exemptions on those as they had  been paid for ( including VAT ) in Philippines. Showed them receipts.

Customs guy was a fool and assessed them at value as if Id purchased them anywhere but the philippines. despite having seen he receipts. 

I appealed and the customs duty increased again.....who knows what thought process went on there ! So have fun bringing your things in !

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

RobH
Posted
Posted

When I moved here in 2018 I used a uk Agent who did the whole lot, Packing and wrapping and all the removal, shipping and delivery to the house in Phil. No extra charges and no problems. I had virtually the whole house contents done. It wasn't cheap though. I wish now I had sent a lot of the garage stuff though, I thought they would draw a line at Lathes and mills, power hacksaw and a compressor. 

I also used a similar company to ship the 2 German shepherds, the UK bit was excellent , custom made shipping crates, vet quality bedding, water dispensers built in, collected from the house, overnight stay in kennels, Given a walk and food, and flown out on the same PAL flight as we were on. The Philippine end was bloody awful, Dogs didn't arrive for 2 days Not been exercised, not given water, and arrived a 3 AM. I did have a major go at the UK people, who said  it was wrong what had happened and they sacked the philippine end. The Philippine drivers were bloody terrified of the dogs, even though they were in crates.

7CCBDEB7-99AE-4309-A8D6-E63360FFAFBD.jpeg

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, SamMindanao said:

suggested I get an authorized representative as the docs need to be submitted in person in Manila,

I'm sure they are talking about a shipping broker. Google shipping broker or customs broker Philippines. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Nickleback99
Posted
Posted

We've been pricing a self pack 20 ft container and getting quotes all over the board, from about $6K to $14K, such that it all becomes confusing.   I do know one Aussie who shipped flawlessly, with his RP citizen partner, from Oz to RP and the Philippine side company was AGS Four Winds.   I'd say he gives it 5 out of 5 stars.