Lawmaker wants ‘ghosting’ declared an emotional offense

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)

Even by Philippine standards this borders on the bizarre!   Sounds like someone's daughter did not get invited to the prom. :whistling:

https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1634946/lawmaker-wants-ghosting-declared-as-an-emotional-offense

MANILA, Philippines — A lawmaker is seeking to declare “ghosting” or the act of suddenly cutting contact with a person, usually a romantic partner, without explaining an “emotional offense.”

In filing House Bill No. 611, Negros Oriental Rep. Arnie Teves Jr. argued that ghosting in a dating relationship can be “mentally, physically, and emotionally exhausting to the ‘ghosted person.'”

He said that ghosting has adverse effects on the mental state of the one being “ghosted,” and the effects continue as they try to grapple with unexplained reasons for the act.

Teves said ghosting can be “likened to a form of emotional cruelty” as it leaves the aggrieved with trauma due to “no real closure.”

“The ambiguity with ghosting is that there is no real closure between parties concerned, and as such, it can be likened to a form of emotional cruelty and should be punished as an emotional offense because of the trauma it causes to the ‘ghosted,'” the explanatory note of the bill read.

Under the proposed measure, ghosting is loosely defined as a form of emotional abuse when a person is engaged in a dating relationship with the opposite sex, affecting the victim’s mental state.

While Teves proposed ghosting be declared an emotional offense, he did not provide any penalty for such an act.

The Negros Oriental representative is the same lawmaker pushing to rename the Ninoy Aquino International Airport after the late dictator Ferdinand Marcos Sr.

Edited by Mike J

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Mike J said:

he did not provide any penalty for such an act.

I propose walking around in a ghost costume for 24 hours.

• Haha 5

Freebie
Posted
Posted

This is normal " Im a Congressman looking to get publicity for myself ".... Hopefully the folk who elected this person are saying " are you serious ".

Whats next.. make farting a crime... Make men mentally undressing women a crime.. make having a bad hair day a criminal offence.

How can these brain dead get elected , oh wait.. I just remembered where I am.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Mike J said:

A lawmaker is seeking to declare “ghosting” or the act of suddenly cutting contact with a person, usually a romantic partner, without explaining an “emotional offense.”

The people who get "ghosted" do not accept any explaining.  Some people just don't understand "feck off".  So if you can't kill them you gotta ghost them.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

The people who get "ghosted" do not accept any explaining.  Some people just don't understand "feck off"

Times have surely changed since the "old days " when a phone call of " Freebie Im breaking up with you, but we can stay friends " elicited a shrug and a swift moving on.  Young people are soooo easily offended....and hurt and upset and are always on cusp of being emotionally and psychology abused etc etc.....

Grow up children. Life IS unfair, so what.  Deal with it.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
56 minutes ago, Freebie said:

Times have surely changed since the "old days " when a phone call of " Freebie Im breaking up with you, but we can stay friends " elicited a shrug and a swift moving on.  Young people are soooo easily offended....and hurt and upset and are always on cusp of being emotionally and psychology abused etc etc.....

Grow up children. Life IS unfair, so what.  Deal with it.

Probably our parents said the same about us and their parents before them!

I think the problem nowadays is not so much the sensitive nature of kids as social media giving an outlet for too many loud mouths to air their weird views.

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Times have changed.  Now you have legislators who want to impose rules on social etiquette and personal relationships.  

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

If I was the other law makers I'd just ignore him. :whistling:

• Haha 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

If I was the other law makers I'd just ignore him. :whistling:

Or maybe ring his doorbell and then run away before he can open the door.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

Or maybe ring his doorbell and then run away before he can open the door.

But make sure you leave a brown paper bag full of dog poo that is on fire,,then run :whistling:

• Haha 2