Life in "The Province" - One Month In

jimeve
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Who knows how I'll feel in a couple of years? I certainly don't but I do get that the life we're living now isn't for everyone, but it is for us for now.

Thanks Bret, good read. All the best for the future hope everthing goes well for you.

Jim.

• Thanks 1

Balisidar
Posted
Posted

Nice read Brett!  Hope everything continues to go well for you.  How well is the house made in regards to typhoons?

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, BrettGC said:

Bacolod is actually the closest “major city” as the crow flies but it's a slightly longer drive drive than Dumaguete due to the mountainous terrain getting there.

I have driven over the mountain from San Carlos to Bacolod.  Very steep and sharp curves.  Once was enough, went back to San Carlos via the northern route.

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, Balisidar said:

Nice read Brett!  Hope everything continues to go well for you.  How well is the house made in regards to typhoons?

Thanks mate.  It's actually pretty solid with regards to that.  It is an issue here highlighted in December when the Typhoon that did so much damage in Cebu went straight over the top of it and the only damage was one of the screen doors and some holes in the eaves.  It has good bones thankfully.  

21 minutes ago, Mike J said:

I have driven over the mountain from San Carlos to Bacolod.  Very steep and sharp curves.  Once was enough, went back to San Carlos via the northern route.

I have no ambition to give it a try mate.  The "National Highway" is enough for me :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Thanks for sharing Brett. 

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Terrific reporting.  It gives me a good idea about living in the provinces.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

I can see you out there Brett with your custom made spear gun, snorkel gear and a large cooler full of San Magoo.  In no time flat, the whole village will be speaking with an Australian accent.  Well done Shipmate!  

sunrise.PNG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love it 1
  • Haha 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

Nice Brett, have spent some time your area as lived 5 years in San Carlos was an Aussie whom owned a small scuba shop on the Northern boundary to the town, not sure he still there.

Wonder if you have a bike, we used to ride inland up to Isabella a lot, at that time was mostly rough and quite a challenge, fabulous scenery. Most of the locals were scared for us saying full of NPA how ever we were shown nothing but respect and kindness.

Would not be the show that fits me long term, enjoy my creature comforts to much but its great your having a ball there, love to know how the spear fishing goes. 

• Like 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, RBM said:

Nice Brett, have spent some time your area as lived 5 years in San Carlos was an Aussie whom owned a small scuba shop on the Northern boundary to the town, not sure he still there.

Wonder if you have a bike, we used to ride inland up to Isabella a lot, at that time was mostly rough and quite a challenge, fabulous scenery. Most of the locals were scared for us saying full of NPA how ever we were shown nothing but respect and kindness.

Would not be the show that fits me long term, enjoy my creature comforts to much but its great your having a ball there, love to know how the spear fishing goes. 

Next time we're up there I'll have a look for the scuba shop - I need to buy everything again.  I free dive when spear fishing, I like to give them a fighting chance :biggrin:, also out of habit as it's illegal to spear fish with cylinders in Australia.  

Not into cycling but we've been thinking about it.  We have a car that can accommodate bike racks.  Wifey is a fitness nut so  she'd love it.  We're after some sort of trail/road hybrid but neither of us has any experience so any advice would be welcome.  Don't want to spend a fortune.  

NPA was an issue pretty close to where we are now but they've been quiet here for a couple of years.  I wonder if wearing my Che Quevara t-shirt would get me out of trouble... 

The creature comforts are coming, it's just taking time.  Hopefully in 3-4 months we'll have a home any westerner would be happy to live in facility-wise, if not location.  

• Like 3