Japanese Restaurants in the Philippines

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

I am looking for my bucket list for Japanese restaurants in Makati and Cebu serving hotpot dishes.  My preference is shabu-shabu.  You have a small pot of boiling water at your table to quick cook thinly sliced beef, seafood tofu, and vegetables.  The pieces are dipped into a sauce and consumed with rice.  Sukiyaki is a westernized version consisting of beef & vegetables with soy sauce and sweet wine (mirin).  Any restaurant recommendations?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

JJ, we also enjoy Japanese and Taiwanese hot pot we have many in the Seattle area. I know of two in Cebu City and one we haven't tried yet but have been told its excellent. 

Japanese place Ayala Mall south end of the terraces forgot the name we eat there a couple times in July.

Taiwanese place to the west of Quest Hotel within walking distance of Ayala Mall. Red House Taiwan Shabu Shabu.

One in Seaside SM we were told is very good. We passed by it there was a line waiting to be seated .

Edited by Old55
  • Like 1

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Old55 said:

Japanese place Ayala Mall south end of the terraces forgot the name we eat there a couple times in July.

Shabu Way, a small and simple place.

Better ambiance is Tong Yang at SM Seaside, and it's a buffet, so grab and cook whatever you want. Unlimited beer, too.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
49 minutes ago, Kingpin said:

Better ambiance is Tong Yang at SM Seaside, and it's a buffet, so grab and cook whatever you want. Unlimited beer, too.

We've had mixed experiences at Tong Yang at SM Seaside. But not bad.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

JJ,,,,In Makati...........Just bring a dead cat with you to swing, you wont be able to not hit one............I am not kidding (much lol)

• Haha 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Old55 said:

JJ, we also enjoy Japanese and Taiwanese hot pot we have many in the Seattle area. I know of two in Cebu City and one we haven't tried yet but have been told its excellent. 

Taiwanese place to the west of Quest Hotel within walking distance of Ayala Mall. Red House Taiwan Shabu Shabu.

One in Seaside SM we were told is very good. We passed by it there was a line waiting to be seated .

Thanks, Old55.  We will give the recommended restaurants a try.  I am not familiar with Taiwanese cuisine.  There is a Taiwan based company opening Dim Sum restaurants all over the world including, I believe, Mall of Asia in the Philippines.  When the first one opened in a San Diego mall, it was a six weeks wait for reservations.  They increased the prices and now it is a walk-in without reservations.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Kingpin said:

Shabu Way sounds good.  Unfortunately, my wife doesn't like buffet.  She doesn't know how long the food has been exposed.  Some customers don't know the proper etiquette and food hygiene.  She hates seeing people pile their plates with food knowing they can't finish it.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, scott h said:

JJ,,,,In Makati...........Just bring a dead cat with you to swing, you wont be able to not hit one............I am not kidding (much lol)

Do you mean I should bring a dead cat for the chef to cook?  I thought a live one would be fresher.

• Haha 4

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

Thanks, Old55.  We will give the recommended restaurants a try.  I am not familiar with Taiwanese cuisine.  There is a Taiwan based company opening Dim Sum restaurants all over the world including, I believe, Mall of Asia in the Philippines.  When the first one opened in a San Diego mall, it was a six weeks wait for reservations.  They increased the prices and now it is a walk-in without reservations.

Taiwan was a vassal state of Japan for many years. Some Taiwanese cuisine includes and is influenced by Japan.

You may be thinking of Din Tai Fung? I had lunch at the Greenbelt Mall Din Tai Fungin last July. We have one near to us always a ten or fifteen minute wait. Fantastic food and service.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Old55 said:

You may be thinking of Din Tai Fung? I had lunch at the Greenbelt Mall Din Tai Fungin last July. We have one near to us always a ten or fifteen minute wait. Fantastic food and service.

Yes.  That's the name of the restaurant.