I won 30 million peso, WTH

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Can you imagine the excitement of the folks who won the 29.8 million peso lottery.  :7500:

Followed by hearing that there were another 432 people who also won. :1927_::1927_::1927_:

https://www.rappler.com/nation/pcso-says-grand-lotto-winners-october-1-2022-loyal-numbers/

MANILA, Philippines – The chance of winning the government-sponsored Grand Lotto in the Philippines was one in 28.9 million, but on Saturday night, October 1, a total of 433 lottery bettors had the same winning combination.

Instead of becoming an overnight multimillionaire, the winners will split the total grand prize of P236 million, and will each receive around P545,000, excluding tax deductions.

The winning combination was 09-45-36-27-18-54 – numbers which are all divisible by 9.

PLAY VIDEO433 Grand Lotto winners were ‘loyal’ to their numbers, says PCSO
In the Grand Lotto 6/55, a total of 28,989,675 combinations can be formed from numbers 1 to 55, as long as no number will be repeated, and there is no particular order.

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

Can you imagine the excitement of the folks who won the 29.8 million peso lottery.  :7500:

Followed by hearing that there were another 432 people who also won. :1927_::1927_::1927_:

https://www.rappler.com/nation/pcso-says-grand-lotto-winners-october-1-2022-loyal-numbers/

MANILA, Philippines – The chance of winning the government-sponsored Grand Lotto in the Philippines was one in 28.9 million, but on Saturday night, October 1, a total of 433 lottery bettors had the same winning combination.

Instead of becoming an overnight multimillionaire, the winners will split the total grand prize of P236 million, and will each receive around P545,000, excluding tax deductions.

The winning combination was 09-45-36-27-18-54 – numbers which are all divisible by 9.

PLAY VIDEO433 Grand Lotto winners were ‘loyal’ to their numbers, says PCSO
In the Grand Lotto 6/55, a total of 28,989,675 combinations can be formed from numbers 1 to 55, as long as no number will be repeated, and there is no particular order.

This happened to be once on Powerball in Australia, I won second division on a $AUD70 million draw which would normally pay 500k or so, which it did.  Statistically it's normally shared between 1 - 15 other lucky people.  The week I won it there were 35.  $AUD13.7k I ended up with, granted, not an amount to be sneezed at but wasn't going to pay off the mortgage either.  I walked away happy but with those feelings of "what coulda been...". 

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Now someone is calling for an investigation as to why so many people could have the same numbers. This person is a mathematician and says its not possible. 

• Haha 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Now someone is calling for an investigation as to why so many people could have the same numbers. This person is a mathematician and says its not possible. 

Guy may be a math wize but he/she lacks common sense in my opinion.  The winners picked only those numbers that are divisible by nine.  The numbers drawn all happened to be divisible by nine.   Having all numbers drawn being divisible by nine is extremely unlikey but not impossible.  In fact, It has the same odds as any other random sequence of numbers hoped for.  Noting at all myterious and definately possible.   I would venture to guess that there is huge number of people who pick only those numbers divisible by seven.

A bit off topic but similar logic by an expert.  I wrote a program for a trucking company that did random drawing of names for drug testing.  The USA law requires 50% of drivers for random no warning testing for drugs.  My program calculated the number of tests required for the month and pulled a name and date of the month both being random.  So if you had 10 indivuals to test for the month, you also had multiple random test dates.  It worked well.  Several months in the Safey director came to me and said; "a lot of the dates are early in the month, can you redo the dates to make them more random during the month".  :whistling:

• Haha 4

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

It's like asking a child what are the odds of the next being heads after a coin flip landing on tails.  Grade school probability.  

• Like 2