Setting new power poles

Ricardo
Posted
Posted

I'm replacing the service drop to our home in Dipolog City Philippines. It's an estimated 500 meter span and I'm needing to know how many poles should be set to support the wire in that distance. Does anyone have this knowledge? 

Thx

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Ricardo said:

I'm replacing the service drop to our home in Dipolog City Philippines. It's an estimated 500 meter span and I'm needing to know how many poles should be set to support the wire in that distance. Does anyone have this knowledge? 

Thx

Wouldn't the best thing to do is consult a power company?  Could depend on type of poles, gauge of wire as in weight.

• Like 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Ricardo said:

Thx

Mine are about 30 meters apart, galvanized steel 2 inch. Standard service drop. Maybe your power company can shed some light, sorry about the pun unintentional.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)

They are typically spaced about 125 ft (38 m) apart in urban areas, or about 300 ft (91 m) in rural areas, but distances vary widely based on terrain.

(Based on the above, Jim's 30m spacing seems spot on give or take).  

Edited by hk blues

gbmmbg
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 10/28/2022 at 5:12 PM, Ricardo said:

It's an estimated 500 meter span

You might look into a transformer. The voltage drop at 500m with 2awg copper wire at 15 amps is going to be 5% and without knowing the input voltage were you are taping into you are going to make your A/C compressors mad....

Edited by gbmmbg
  • Like 2