Annulment

longway
Posted
Posted

My long time girlfriend is married, no Kids, and now I want to consider marriage with her. She has been separated from her husband for many many years. She has met an attorney 3 or 4 times over the past 4 years pursuing the annulment but it is still pending in the court. She has spent quite a bit of money so far on this, none of those funds were from me (yet). I am now ready to step in and get it done. I've stayed at arms length from this issue to date. What advice can anyone offer on what is normal for cost, timing, and just advice before I jump in and offer to help?

Joey G
Posted
Posted

What OMY said.... plus paying more $$$ won't guarantee speed...  

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

The few successful annulments we have direct knowledge of took an honest effective attorney who has done annulments in the past.

Good luck to both of you. For sure it can be done.

Edited by Old55
  • Like 2

Possum
Posted
Posted

Many years ago I was at a gathering of Filipinos and a couple of expats. A judge was there and one of the expats asked about annulment. The judge said," It's expensive but possible. The spouse may take some money to not contest but if he thinks a foreigner is involved ? A LOT of money. Caution.

• Like 3

longway
Posted
Posted

Thanks for all the advice. She will keep me as a silent partner investor and we will just let justice take it's sweet time. I thought more money might help but obviously not so she will only pay what is normal and customary. Calling the attorney more often is something that can easily be done. Squeaky wheel thing.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, longway said:

Thanks for all the advice. She will keep me as a silent partner investor and we will just let justice take it's sweet time. I thought more money might help but obviously not so she will only pay what is normal and customary. Calling the attorney more often is something that can easily be done. Squeaky wheel thing.

Wise decision.  

Here, like most places, they will be happy to take as much as you're willing to pay but that won't necessarily lead to a better outcome.

• Like 2