Your Payments While You Are Outside the United States

softail
Posted
Posted

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10137.pdf

This book should answer any questions a person should have about collecting Social Security while living in the Philippines 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Kingpin
Posted
Posted

There should be a chapter 'making an online SS account while outside the United States" because they make it impossible.

• Like 1

baronapart
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Kingpin said:

There should be a chapter 'making an online SS account while outside the United States" because they make it impossible.

I'm interested. How is it difficult to make an online account outside the US?

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Kingpin said:

Can you expand when you say "making an account".   Do you mean establish a new account?  I was able to apply for my retirement payments while living here in the Philippines with no issues.  I do not recall the details as it was eight years ago, but I do remember being called on my cell phone from a lady who worked in the American embassy in Manila.  The purpose was to go over details such as where to send moneys, etc.  

• Like 1

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, baronapart said:

How is it difficult to make an online account outside the US?

Besides SS# and name, they ask personal questions that may be years or decades out of date, then they don't let you know which questions you got wrong. They aren't much better when getting a child's SS# overseas, takes years.

• Hmm thinking 1

baronapart
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Kingpin said:

Besides SS# and name, they ask personal questions that may be years or decades out of date, then they don't let you know which questions you got wrong. They aren't much better when getting a child's SS# overseas, takes years.

Ahh, you mean setting up the online account. I remember them asking about an address I had in the 80's when I was in the Navy. IRS did that too when I set up an account there. Loans and credit I may or may not have had...

• Like 1

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Can you expand when you say "making an account".   Do you mean establish a new account?

Making an account on their website ssa.gov...which makes you use login.gov....which requires "authentication" like an actual phone number...and then you need to confirm personal details like name address and phone number that match your credit report...despite being an overseas expat who has completely different info now.

• Like 1

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, baronapart said:

Ahh, you mean setting up the online account. I remember them asking about an address I had in the 80's when I was in the Navy. IRS did that too when I set up an account there. Loans and credit I may or may not have had...

How did you even get them to call you in the Philippines?

baronapart
Posted
Posted
Just now, Kingpin said:

How did you even get them to call you in the Philippines?

These were online questions when I set up my accounts here in the States. Multiple choice. I would advise anyone looking to relocate to set up as many of these accounts BEFORE they relocate. I am 58 but I have had an online account with the SSA and IRS for years.

• Like 1

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, baronapart said:

I would advise anyone looking to relocate to set up as many of these accounts BEFORE they relocate.

So would I, because if you don't, you're f'd