Random Acts of Christmas Cheer

Joey G
Posted
Posted

Christmas is coming. The goose is getting fat
                        Please put a penny in the old man’s hat.
                        If you haven’t got a penny, a ha’penny will do.
                        If you haven’t got a ha’penny, God bless you.

• Like 4

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
On 12/14/2022 at 3:53 PM, JJReyes said:

We have completed our annual giving to various American 501 (c) (3) non-profits and several local NGOs.  Biggest recipient is World Central Kitchen, a relief organization delivering food to Ukraine's internally displaced families and earlier in the war, preparing warm meals for Ukranian refugees crossing borders. 

To do something more personal, my wife and I purchased Chinese money envelopes that are available at National Bookstore.  We will insert 20, 50, 100 or 200 peso bills and hand them, on a random basis, to service personnel and security guards.  My wife observation is many are treated like they don't exist.  For example, security guards at mall entrances greet incoming customers yet most don't respond with "Good Morning" or a similar greeting (we do).  Let's see what happens.

Money Envelope.jpg

I think its been a while that we gave out 'red envelopes' to select service people who go beyond their normal duties to render us assistance in places where we pay bills, habitually visit for food/drink, bank regularly, etc. It has been a custom of sorts for those of means and appreciation to , in a way, secure and assure, further assistance. You might call it 'special gifting' or quasi-bribery, sort of like calling upon a cousin;s close friend who works there for help in aiding transactions. or sorting problems that come up.

My wife seems to operate this way, and it does often lubricate and ease things, in accordance with the Smooth Interpersonal Relations Philippine cultural social system.  I don't think she bothers with the envelopes anymore, but I think she did buy some a few years ago, so, Yes, it does seem to work for her. 

• Like 1

Peaceful John
Posted
Posted
On 12/15/2022 at 8:53 AM, JJReyes said:

We have completed our annual giving to various American 501 (c) (3) non-profits and several local NGOs.  Biggest recipient is World Central Kitchen, a relief organization delivering food to Ukraine's internally displaced families and earlier in the war, preparing warm meals for Ukranian refugees crossing borders. 

To do something more personal, my wife and I purchased Chinese money envelopes that are available at National Bookstore.  We will insert 20, 50, 100 or 200 peso bills and hand them, on a random basis, to service personnel and security guards.  My wife observation is many are treated like they don't exist.  For example, security guards at mall entrances greet incoming customers yet most don't respond with "Good Morning" or a similar greeting (we do).  Let's see what happens.

Money Envelope.jpg

JJ, my wife and I do similar gifts during the holidays, especially to security and service people and their appreciation is priceless.  But I especially like your idea of using the gift envelopes.  What a great idea.  Giving cash hand to hand raises many eyebrows, but the envelopes will work perfect.  Thanks for sharing.  Merry Christmas:xmastree: 

• Like 3