Rule of law in Philippines compared to other countries?

Barden
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

if there is any issue between you and a national.... you will likely end up last and paying a bundle to settle things for one reason or another... You are the foreigner with all the money...

no rull of law ?

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

There is the rule of law.  The difficulty is interpretation because the inclination to agree favors the local.  It is similar to a game of sport.  The home team has an edge.  Maybe the referees are more scared to the hometown spectators.  Happens everywhere, not just the Philippines.  

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Barden said:

no rull of law ?

Yes there is rule of law but . . . (and there always seems to be a but).  All too often it is the party with money who pays, and it appears to happen even more so if the driver and/or owner is a foreigner.   If someone is injured or killed in an accident it takes money to pay medical or burial expenses.   The logic seems to be that a foreigner who can afford their own car can also afford to pay for the accident.   A few years back I was driving my motor and man was walking with his back to traffic.  Without ever looking he attempted to cross the road in front of me.  I was able to avoid hitting him but laid the bike down in the process.  There is no doubt in my mind that I would have been found at fault if I had hit the guy.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

There is the rule of law.  The difficulty is interpretation because the inclination to agree favors the local.  It is similar to a game of sport.  The home team has an edge.  Maybe the referees are more scared to the hometown spectators.  Happens everywhere, not just the Philippines.  

Well said. :thumbsup:

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Barden said:

no rull of law ?

Trying not to be negative here, but the "rule of law" here appears to me to be rather subjective, if you catch my drift?

In other words, I agree with @Mike J's comments above...

Edited by Tommy T.

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, JJReyes said:

The home team has an edge

More specifically, the home team owners have the edge, they decide the law, and their associates control those who enforce it.

Possum
Posted
Posted

Most laws in the Philippines closely resemble laws in western countries however there is little respect or enforcement. I kind of understand. If the people running your country from the barangay to the top are corrupt why should you obey the law?

https://worldjusticeproject.org/rule-of-law-index/country/2022/Philippines/