Us Tax Return For Expats

Gold Heart
Posted
Posted

Does anyone know of someone who might be supporting or providing the services preparing US Tax returns. Specifically someone familiar with the requirements and provisions to optimize for expatriates.Do members just use the services and support of providers in the US via email? Do it yourself? Other methods?Thanks

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Does anyone know of someone who might be supporting or providing the services preparing US Tax returns. Specifically someone familiar with the requirements and provisions to optimize for expatriates.Do members just use the services and support of providers in the US via email? Do it yourself? Other methods?Thanks
H&R Block online is what a friend of mine uses and they file electronically for him.

Michael
Posted
Posted

I used "tax act on line" last year in the states. You could probably google the web site. It is free. The program ask you questions and then it prompts the appropriate forms. The federal return is free, but you have to pay $15.00 or so for the state.

TheMason
Posted
Posted

I don't know if you consider it 'local' or not, but the RAO group up in Angeles helps people with tax returns. The group is run by a guy named Jim, but I can't locate their contact info. They have a Yahoo group, so maybe someone else has the info.I always use TurboTax, the downloaded CD version not online, and its handled my living overseas very well so far.

Mik
Posted
Posted

I use TurboTax online. http://turbotax.intuit.com/The Big Lebowski (1998)Jackie Treehorn: "The wave of the future, Dude. One hundred percent electronic!".

Gold Heart
Posted
Posted

Thanks for all the online and software recommendations. I've used Turbo Tax and Tax Cut in the past.I was more looking to find a professional that might be acquainted with more complicated questions.For example I have questions related to residency qualifications for state taxes and any particular issues if you are living abroad. I know if you are living outside the US, you can file later. What are the complexities if you maintain your home in the US while living abroad. I also have some transition complexities associated with retiring and receiving payouts.Perhaps these are straight forward and I'm assuming there are some complexities that are not there. I thought there might be a former accountant who has taken residency or part time specialty business here.Thanks