Tourists On Extended Stay Urged To Get I-Card

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I see why the say they want it but I wonder what changed and why the push for this now? Maybe they actually want to now know how many of us are living in the Philippines? Seems like a good idea to me. What do you all think? and what might the pitfalls be? What advantage is there to having one? MANILA, Philippines - Foreign tourists who are on extended stay in the country, or are studying, or working for a brief period in the Philippines are now obliged to secure their alien certificate of registration identity card (ACR I-Card) from the Bureau of Immigration, it was learned yesterday.The new regulation is provided for, under a memorandum order issued by Commissioner Nonoy Libanan on Dec. 2 and which was subsequently approved by Justice Secretary Agnes Devanadera.Under the said memorandum, all temporary visitors or tourists who have extended their stay in the country, or are engaged in other activities are required to apply and obtain their ACR I-Card from the BI.The I-Card replaced the paper-based ACR which the BI had issued to foreigners who are registered with the bureau and serves as proof of their legal residence status in the country. In proposing the new regulation, Libanan informed Devanadera that issuing the ACR I-Card to foreign tourists will enhance the capability of the BI to monitor the activities of said aliens in the country. Libanan added it will

tom_shor
Posted
Posted

Or maybe they figured out that is something else they can charge you for. It's not really a bad idea. I had planned to get one when I moved there. It makes a lot of things easier as far as doing business and opening accounts.

TheMason
Posted
Posted

Tom already pointed out the benefits of the I-card for banking, utilities and other day to day neccesities of the long term tourist. The other benefit is that the I-card decreases the number of trips to immigration. You no longer have to get an exit clearance certificate when you leave, you can just pay your exit fees at the airport.I don't think this is a revenue grab by BI, its just an extension of computerizing their records. It would also give foreigners ID that they can use in day to day life so we don't have to carry copies of our passport around with us any more. If it was just about revenue, they'd have just jacked up the fees for long term tourists again.As I recall, the I-card cost me about 5k when I got it.

Mik
Posted
Posted
...issuing the ACR I-Card to foreign tourists will enhance the capability of the BI to monitor the activities of said aliens in the country.
Big Brother is watching you..

johnb
Posted
Posted (edited)

Applicants who submit complete requirements and have paid the necessary fees are issued their I-Cards within 48 hours from the filing of their application.I cant see any advantage for my situation just another fee to pay BI, and some more red tape

Edited by johnb