Sinulog and return of normal

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

While every town had their annual fiesta, Ati-Atihan and the Pahiyas in Lukban, Quezon were the festivals that drew large numbers of domestic and international visitors.  Cebu City and others realized the revenue potential.  They also wanted the prestige of hosting even bigger events.  Sinulog has become one of the biggest.

The Philippines should look into other festival that they can imitate.  Gilroy, California is famous for garlic.  Their annual event includes oddities like garlic ice cream, garlic cream pie and a garlic eating contest.  The highlight is crowning their Miss Garlic Queen (I kid you not). 

Maybe they can start with onions crowning a Domestic Onion Queen and a rival, International Onion Queen.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

Maybe they can start with onions crowning a Domestic Onion Queen and a rival, International Onion Queen.

Sorry sir, onions out of stock this year. :tongue:

• Haha 4

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
44 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Sorry sir, onions out of stock this year. :tongue:

Or we have these for 600PHP/Kg :thumbsup:

• Haha 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
52 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

Quezon were the festivals that drew large numbers of domestic and international visitors.  Cebu City and others realized the revenue potential.  They also wanted the prestige of hosting even bigger events. 

Sort of disagree as my partner is from Tacloban and she says they worship the same saint so have a festival at the same time which will never be as big as Cebu but the point is that their saint and reasons for their devotion at this time have nothing to do with revenue or anything other than some religious belief. 

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

The Sinulog festival has been going on here in Cebu city, and other areas of the Philippines have the same under different names. Anyway, after a wet start Friday, which dried up by the evening and Saturday being good weather it was good to see huge crowds here in the IT park once again. Bars and food places are packed and now at 3.30 am the place is still rocking and loud. Would be the same all over the city. Return to the good old days :smile:

I accidentally attended a Sinulog festival about 8 years ago.  I was due to catch a ferry from Cebu to Bohol when they were all cancelled due to bad weather so was stuck.  Couldn't find any accommodation for hours and thanks to Pope Frank visiting PI at the same time, I couldn't even jump on a flight out due to everything being booked to Manila.  I eventually found a room in a pension house and had a ball at a festival which up to that point I didn't even know existed; lots of fond memories.  Really happy it's back to normal again.   

• Like 4