Us Immigration Change Backed

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)

What the hell, this is crazy, legalize illegals. I say send them home to apply. What do you think?WASHINGTON—Hispanic, black, Asian and other House lawmakers backing immigration overhaul called Tuesday for legalizing illegal immigrants in the US, despite a weakened economy and joblessness.The coalition of lawmakers said Tuesday immigration reform could protect American workers as well as bring into the mainstream economy productive immigrant workers who have lived in the shadows because of their illegal status. “For those who say that given the state of our economy, given the unemployment rate, this is not the time, I would say to you there is no wrong or right time. There is a moral obligation,” said Rep. Lydia Velazquez, a Democrat and chairman of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus. Rep. Luis Gutierrez, a Democrat who has become a leader of a multi-ethnic coalition of immigration reform backers, said immigration reform opponents “will use it as a wedge issue and will blame everything from unemployment to rising health care costs on immigrants.” “The immigrant blame game is constant,” Gutierrez told a packed news conference. Immigration reform also means tougher penalties for employers who hire illegal workers, rules requiring foreign investors given US visas to create jobs in this country, restrictions on hiring of foreign workers, he said. Although there has been a report of a better-than-expected increase in production in the US economy, experts say it remains weak and recovery continues to be slow. That has led some to suggest that early next year—as some are expecting—is not the time to bring up immigration reform and certainly not to legalize illegal immigrants. “Illegal immigrants currently occupy eight million jobs. Those stolen jobs rightfully belong to citizens and legal immigrants. We could cut the unemployment rate in half simply by enforcing immigration laws!” said Rep. Lamar Smith, the top Republican on the House Judiciary Committee. An immigration reform bill proposed by Gutierrez seeks to legalize undocumented immigrants by requiring them to register with the federal government, pay a $500 fine for each adult, learn English, pass background checks, and meet other requirements. They then are eligible for a six-year visa, and when that is done a green card. Only $500 fine. :wt-hell: The bill contains many other proposals. It was unveiled Tuesday, but lawmakers acknowledged the Senate will vote first. There is some skepticism whether Democrats will be willing to take up immigration reform early next year so soon after a tough health care debate and with 2010 elections gearing up. “What we are doing is getting ready so when they are done with their work, we can quickly act,” Gutierrez said. APLink to the story

Edited by Mr. Lee

Mik
Posted
Posted

It's nothing to do with a "moral obligation" to help those illegals. It's just preparation for the North American Union. Say goodbye to US sovereignty.Now I have a question. Do you think this new bill, which is unlikely to pass, will apply to a foreign fiancee or foreign spouse of a US citizen who gets rejected for a green card? I doubt it. .

• Like 1

TheMason
Posted
Posted

I have zero sympathy for illegal aliens. My wife and I are struggling with the visa process now and it really pisses me off that people that broke the law and snuck into the country are up for amnesty and a slap on the wrist. My visa fees are going to exceed $2000 and they want to fine them $500? I guess its my bad for not marrying a wetback. If I had, we could be living in the US and $2000 richer right now.

• Like 1

Steve
Posted
Posted
I have zero sympathy for illegal aliens. My wife and I are struggling with the visa process now and it really pisses me off that people that broke the law and snuck into the country are up for amnesty and a slap on the wrist. My visa fees are going to exceed $2000 and they want to fine them $500? I guess its my bad for not marrying a wetback. If I had, we could be living in the US and $2000 richer right now.
I can relate. They increase the fees and make us jump through hoops while the illegals get a slap on the wrist. I say deport them all then maybe the unemployment rate will decrease but then again with outsourcing, I doubt that unemployment would decrease (another gripe for another time).

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I agree, deport them all and then let them apply like we had to for our wives or fianc