Open ended ticket for flights

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I have heard about these open ended tickets for flights , but when looking into them many sites says impossible others say you have to go to a travel agent , so has anyone gone this way before, or do you just get a return ticket and if you are enjoying life there just don’t bother showing up at the airport , or do you buy a one way ticket 

Joey G
Posted
Posted

Open ended... meaning scheduled one way and no date on return.  If you want the equivalent of an "open ended"... the best option would be to buy a ticket that has a flexible flight change option... meaning dates can be changed. Fee's to make changes vary on the airline.  Buying a one way ticket out and then buying a separate one way ticket back is another option... but usually costs more... but not always.  All this can be done without a travel agent... and personally... I buy from airlines directly... that way the airlines will address and follow up issues. When you buy from an agent you lose negotiating leverage on changes.

Always remember... no matter what kind of ticket you get... if you change the flights... you will always pay the difference at the current price on the date you made the change. Occasionally I have gotten a refund when the new price was lower... but that is RARE.

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Purchase a one-way ticket and you pay a hefty premium for the privilege.  Immigrations may want to see your return ticket, so this is a problem.  Open-ended return ticket may also require paying a premium.  My suggestion is to purchase a round trip ticket with the return date being within the maximum number of days permitted by the Bureau of Immigrations upon arrival.    You can change the date later and pay the penalty.  You will notice all options favor the airlines.  

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, stevewool said:

I have heard about these open ended tickets for flights

I don't see them offered anymore but you can get a "flexible flight" through this site https://www.alternativeairlines.com/flexible-flights

They say

"Flexible flights, 'flexi flights' or a 'flexible fare' is an airline ticket that allows you to make changes to the date and time of your flight before departure. Flexi flights are great if — for whatever reason — you need to bring forward or delay the date you fly on.

You can book flexible flights at Alternative Airlines by checking the fare rules of the flight that you've selected. If the rules state that changes are permitted, you've selected a flexible flight. If the rules state that changes aren't permitted, then your flight is not flexible. We advise you to buy flexible flights in case you cannot make your flight and need to change the dates due to an unexpected circumstance."

Joey G
Posted
Posted

Virtually every airline sells flexible flight tickets.... when you buy through a third party any changes will have to go through them... I have yet to find a third party ticket broker who has better service adjusting tickets than the airlines.  Some third party brokers do buy discounted tickets and sell them cheaper than you might get from the airlines... often no changes allowed... and if they do allow changes... your stuck with whatever discount tickets they have in their inventory... assuming they have some. It's all about how much your willing to pay for price and flexibility.

But it sounded like in your other thread you're going Balikbayan... if so.... you don't even need a return ticket when you come to the Philippines. 

• Like 1