Cheese and other Food Prices and Availability

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

We are finding a cheese shortage here in Davao. No more Bega cheeses from 'Stralia. And few from anywhere except some expensive European types like Emborg. Is anyone else finding cheese hard to come by in other places, like Manila, where virtually everything is available?  I could buy all the cream cheese I could ever want at the stores, however. Yellow onions are finally available and for less than P300/kg.... That's a nice start. Yellowfin tuna is still ranging at near P700/kg. Steak and high quality beef is still ranging from P300-P+1,000/kg depending on source and cut. L an I are continually shocked at food prices in the past six months to a year already...

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

There is a shortage of a lot of foods in Australia due to floods and other issues so exported cheese might be another.  Yes food here is expensive these days but is also the same everywhere due to rising fuel costs and general world food shortage according to the news.

Here unlimited Korean and Japanese BBQ do very well. Same as this place up the road in the photos below. Open 24/7 and usually packed.

cheap 3.jpg cheap.jpg

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I buy Joseph Farms at S&R but today they were out of cheddar.  These were p379 each.

IMG_20230213_174819.jpg

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

We are finding a cheese shortage here in Davao. No more Bega cheeses from 'Stralia. And few from anywhere except some expensive European types like Emborg. Is anyone else finding cheese hard to come by in other places, like Manila, where virtually everything is available?  I could buy all the cream cheese I could ever want at the stores, however. Yellow onions are finally available and for less than P300/kg.... That's a nice start. Yellowfin tuna is still ranging at near P700/kg. Steak and high quality beef is still ranging from P300-P+1,000/kg depending on source and cut. L an I are continually shocked at food prices in the past six months to a year already...

Surprised your not making your own Tommy, heaps of you tube videos out there about it.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, RBM said:

Surprised your not making your own Tommy, heaps of you tube videos out there about it.

From @OMW ... I buy Joseph Farms at S&R but today they were out of cheddar.  These were p379 each.

I have bought those too and they are okay, but I don't go often to S & R - too much hassle, then too much traffic there and back...

Yeah...l guess I could try. But nothing is as good - to my palate - as Kiwi or Aussie cheeses. Much better than what I used to buy in USA.

Edited by Tommy T.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
On 2/13/2023 at 5:07 PM, Jollygoodfellow said:

There is a shortage of a lot of foods in Australia due to floods and other issues so exported cheese might be another.  Yes food here is expensive these days but is also the same everywhere due to rising fuel costs and general world food shortage according to the news.

Yes... agreed. Interestingly, pork and chicken supplies seem to be abundant. Veggies and cheese are difficult to find and expensive. We are growing some of our own veggies, but not nearly enough to supply us on a regular basis. Everyone around this area seems to have chickens. Next door they have at least four very large chicken coops. Neighbours are also raising goats, pigs and some beef cattle.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

One thing not mentioned about increases in food prices is global competition.  There is economic prosperity all over the world which leads to a demand for all kinds of new products.  This high demand can cause scarcity.  An added factor is the Philippines is considered a small market.  If you are a cheese manufacturer in Australia, it is easier to ship five 40-foot containers to Japan than one 20-foot container to the Philippines.