Us Hikes Aid To Manila

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

While I am very happy the US is helping the Philippines, it does seem strange to me that a country that is so far in dept would give millions away and one can only hope that some of the money gets to the poor and is not used improperly toward elections. Where do you think the money will go? SugarwareZ-007.gif The US government has increased its grant assistance to the Philippines to $135.1 million for fiscal year 2010, mostly in development and security aid, negating earlier reports that it will decrease financial assistance to the country due to alleged human rights abuses.The Department of Foreign Affairs said the grant assistance for 2010 is higher than the $118.7 million earlier requested by the Obama administration.It also represents an increase of $15.4 million or 13 percent higher compared to fiscal year 2009

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted

To be honest its something I think that is really screwed up in the West. Any Aid = Corruption. A lot of it is done on purpose to sell arms or other equipment sort of give some take some because obviously Aid comes from Tax revenue transfer that into Arms and youve literally laundered millions of dollars. The last thing I would give any country is Aid as its just a continous cycle. If a country donating really cared it would tie in commitment. E.g international rescue teams equipped with medical and humanitarian supplies which are an independant unit that delivers directly into an area. Completely unrelated to military or owned by a single country. Not the Mickey Mouse circuit called the UN but an organisation that can be rapid response but budgets are fed out transparently to stop overpayments and "administration, fees" aswell as 101 other excuses to syphon off money.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I agree, if they want to donate money, how about aid in the form of doctors and dentist and medicines which would be given out by those doctors, and also teaching medical people how to do their job properly so they can help the people. Then maybe next would be to build infrastructure, such as drainage to prevent flooding and standing water and possibly some sort of safe water supply. Aid could be given in many ways that would actually help the poor instead of the greedy politicians in both countries that take for themselves first or get kick backs for the money and items they supply.

Mik
Posted
Posted

The US has a huge military presence in Afghanistan and Pakistan to guard China's backdoor. The Philippines (along with US bases on Guam, Okinawa and Korea) is strategically located at China's front door. I'm glad there's no foreign military bases here and I sure hope the Philippines doesn't get involved when WWIII breaks out..

TheMason
Posted
Posted

A lot of that money will come right back to the US in the form of military equipment purchases. I found it ironic that the final amount was higher than the President asked for. Everyone blames Obama for out of control US spending, but the President does not appropriate funds or decide what to spend...that is all done by Congress.