Philippines begins shipping durian to China

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

This should teach them to leave our fisherman alone.  :tongue:

https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2023/04/08/2257419/philippines-begins-shipping-durian-china

MANILA, Philippines — As part of the fruit deal with China clinched by President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. in January, the Philippines shipped the first batch of durian to China on Thursday, according to the Department of Agriculture.

In a news release, the DA said the shipment of 28 tons of durian -- weighing approximately 28,000 kilograms -- was sourced from producers and processors in Mindanao.

Exports of durian to China are among the many fruit export plans under the $2 billion bilateral agreement that Marcos signed during his state visit to China in January. The deal also covers the shipment of other agricultural products, like coconut and bananas, among others, according to state news outfit Philippine News Agency.

During the same visit to China, the DA and customs administration of China signed an agreement for the protocol of phytosanitary requirements – a measure that certifies crops have been inspected – for the export of fresh durians from the Philippines to China.

Five packaging facilities and 58 durian farms have been greenlighted by the Chinese government for the shipment of durian, according to the news release.

The DA also said on Saturday that an additional consignment of durians weighing 28 tons was sent through airfreight, while 10 container vans with a combined weight of 7.2 tons were transported by sea.

“The deal is expected to gain $260 million or P14.3 billion in revenue for the local durian industry,” the department added.

Marcos told business leaders in January that durian growers from Davao -- which produces around 78% of durian in the country -- were ready to meet the demand of the Chinese market for the fruit, according to a PNA news report.

RBM
Posted
Posted

No wonder not many available, I love the smell and taste.....

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, RBM said:

No wonder not many available, I love the smell and taste.....

I like them as well, they remind me of my first experiences of SE Asia, pre-development.   I'm just surprised that unlike many other SE Asian countries there's no signs saying "No durian allowed" in the hotels etc.  

Edited by BrettGC

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

I'm just surprised that unlike many other SA Asian countries there's no signs saying "No durian allowed" in the hotels etc.  

I've seen them in hotels here but have not been to a hotel for a long time. Often there is a fine.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I've seen them in hotels here but have not been to a hotel for a long time. Often there is a fine.

We've seen a number of NO DURIAN notices in resorts and hotels in Manila and Cebu last year. 

Edited by Old55

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

11 minutes ago, Old55 said:

We've seen a number of NO DURIAN notices in resorts and hotels in Manila and Cebu last year. 

Maybe it's selective blindness  <carries durian into his hotel room> :whistling:

• Love it 1
  • Haha 3