Badminton On NLEX

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I saw the burned out propane truck when we were headed home from Manila on Monday.  The fire was on Sunday.

Monday midday, they had already shut down a Northbound NLEX lane in preparation to make it a Southbound counter flow lane later when heavy Southbound traffic was expected.  Later in the day, Southbound did indeed become a parking lot, even with the counter flow lane.

=======================================================================

https://www.philstar.com/lifestyle/on-the-radar/2023/04/12/2258354/playing-badminton-nlex-prohibited-advisory-released-after-2-men-go-viral

MANILA, Philippines — A video of two men playing badminton on North Luzon Expressway (NLEX) has gone viral on social media. 

According to an ABS-CBN News report, Wilfred Zamora Jr. and Arjay Fusilero were seen playing badminton on NLEX during the heavy traffic last Holy Week. 

Social media user Nays Martin Baoec, who spotted the two men, said that those who watched the two men playing got amused and forgot about their frustration about the traffic.

According to Wilfred, it had been 10 minutes that they were stuck in traffic jam, which is why they decided to play badminton. 

A post shared by Luis Manzano (@luckymanzano)

He said that the men played badminton for 20 minutes. 

Metro Pacific Tollways Corporation said that the badminton game happened when there was a fire incident in Candaba Viaduct that caused the traffic jam. 

Metro Pacific added that playing on NLEX is prohibited. 

"We immediately closed the lanes near the burning tank truck for the safety of motorists. When the traffic was at full stop these motorists alighted from their vehicles and did these unsafe acts," it said. 

"They would definitely be stopped had we seen them, but our personnel were focused on responding to the emergency situation to ensure everyone's safety," it added. 

• Haha 2

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Ya that would be unsafe as hell. One could easily dent an innocent car while going after a wild shuttlecock.

Edited by Guy F.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

I would rather watch grass grow than a Badmington game.

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, JJReyes said:

I would rather watch grass grow than a Badmington game.

I used to think the same.  But when I was in university a lifetime ago you had to take physical ed classes.  Unfortunately for me, I thought at the time, badminton was the only class with open slots so I signed up for it.  I ended up loving the game and I still enjoy watching it on television.  There is a world of difference between backyard players who play "pitty pat" and serious players who drive the other player back with  powerful lobs and snap a "jump kill shot" over the net. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Guy F. said:

Ya that would be unsafe as hell. One could easily dent an innocent car while going after a wild shuttlecock.

NLEX makes a big deal about it, in typical authoritarian Filipino way.  In the U.S., when there is a traffic situation that requires waiting at a standstill, people always get out of their cars and do stuff.  No big deal.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

I used to think the same.  But when I was in university a lifetime ago you had to take physical ed classes.  Unfortunately for me, I thought at the time, badminton was the only class with open slots so I signed up for it.  I ended up loving the game and I still enjoy watching it on television.  There is a world of difference between backyard players who play "pitty pat" and serious players who drive the other player back with  powerful lobs and snap a "jump kill shot" over the net. :thumbsup:

I have always enjoyed all racquet sports.  The new one in the U.S. that is exploding is Pickle Ball.  Might have to give it a try.

Usually watching a sport is more enjoyable if you have played it and can appreciate the skills.  Golf is a prime example of that.

Edited by OnMyWay

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Pickle Ball. 

Tennis with a half-dead ball meets ping pong.

Edited by Guy F.
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Usually watching a sport is more enjoyable if you have played it and can appreciate the skills.  Golf is a prime example of that

Same with volleyball.