Are Russians Moving to the Philippines?

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

More than 330,000 Russians traveled to Thailand during the recent months of November, December and January.  While the country has always been a popular destination for Russian families escaping winter weather, the recent arrivals are increasingly young, draft age men who are possibly escaping another mobilization.  A telltale sign are arrivals with a one-way ticket.  Thai authorities are getting fed up with their bad behavior including loud, drunken parties and trying to get local jobs.  Thai Immigration is clamping down on tourist visa extensions.  Returning to Russia is not an option.  There is now concern they may move to the Philippines because there is the possibility of visa renewals for up to 3 years.  

Anyone with more information?  I heard a rumor that there is already a Russian group in Samal enrolling their young children in a public elementary school.  The local school administrators are worried a large influx will tax their limited resources.  

• Hmm thinking 2

mountainside
Posted
Posted (edited)

The Balinese have already had enough.  Can't blame them.  We're very fond of Bali, and are sorry that recent visitors are screwing things up for the rest of us -- a foreigner can't even rent a scooter now.  https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/18/asia/indonesia-russians-ukrainians-fleeing-war-intl-hnk/index.html

The Chinese drove tanks through the SRRV loophole, and the Russians might drive tanks through the three-year visa extension loophole.  The last bastion may be the 13A.  Perhaps Filipinas might not find many Russians as attractive as those of us who've married our sweet Filipinas.  I've heard that Thai gals aren't all that crazy about Russians . . .

Edited by mountainside
  • Sad 1

CebuAndy
Posted
Posted

My first thought was 'no', but then I checked ticket prices. Both AirAsia and Scoot fly from Phuket, where majority of russians stay, to Manila for only US$147 up.

Russians don't behave nice in Thailand, and Imm are not making it easier for them, as a result.

Agree that Philippines might be Russians next destination, when it's so cheap flights.

jimeve
Posted
Posted (edited)

Nothing wrong with Russians we have a nice couple and their child staying with us. It's other foreigners who are a pest. Just look what happened in Dumaguete a few months ago.

Brit and yanks attacking an innocent American in his own home.

Foreigners charged for attempted homicide

Edited by jimeve
  • Like 1

mountainside
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, jimeve said:

Nothing wrong with Russians

Fair enough.  I'm a Yank, and recognize that we Yanks have caused more trouble in the Phils than Russians have or likely ever will.

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

There's been a fair share of Russians and Ukrainians on Boracay of draft age for a while. There's also an older Russian living on handouts due to his bank account being frozen.  

• Hmm thinking 2

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, mountainside said:

The Balinese have already had enough.  Can't blame them.  We're very fond of Bali, and are sorry that recent visitors are screwing things up for the rest of us -- a foreigner can't even rent a scooter now.  https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/18/asia/indonesia-russians-ukrainians-fleeing-war-intl-hnk/index.html

Not sure why they chose Bali? But the whole thing is like a racial reverse of the US and Western Europe immigration problems the last few decades.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I seldom, if ever, drink vodka so should not be problem for me. :tongue:

• Haha 1

Rooster
Posted
Posted

Some history on Russian refugees in the Philippines.

https://pravoslavie.ru/80526.html

A friend of mine was a child at the time, stayed and was granted citizenship, owns this place in Palawan.

https://m.facebook.com/people/Kinabuchs-Grill-and-Bar-Official/100076273796703/

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
On 4/14/2023 at 5:30 PM, Rooster said:

Some history on Russian refugees in the Philippines.

https://pravoslavie.ru/80526.html

The Philippines has a tradition of welcoming refugees.  Israel is one of the few countries allowing visa free entry on a Philippine passport.  Most countries, including Great Britain and the United States, refused entry for German Jews fleeing Nazi Germany.  The Philippines made available 10,000 visas.  The Israeli government recognizes this and other contributions such as the Philippines lobbying and voting for the creation of Israel in the United Nations.  In addition to sheltering Russians, the country allowed entry for so called Vietnamese boat people, Spaniards fleeing their Civil War and Syrian was refugees.  

• Like 5