Cistern question

Lee
Posted
Posted

Does anyone know of a system that will give a visual alarm/indication when the water level in a cistern has dropped below preset levels?

Any advice would be appreciated.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Lee said:

Does anyone know of a system that will give a visual alarm/indication when the water level in a cistern has dropped below preset levels?

Any advice would be appreciated.

I see no replies so I will try to help a bit. Just buy a float switch and mount it at the level where you want an alarm to alert you. So long as there is adequate water in the tank, the float is up and the circuit is open. When the float drops, the circuit is closed and you get an alarm. I think that's the easiest and cheapest way to do that... Hook up whatever you want for the alarm - light, bell, buzzer? Easiest way is to attach the float switch to a non-toxic pole (stainless, aluminum?) and then place that down to the bottom or level you want but bring the wires up and out of the water tank then lead them to wherever your alarm will be.

• Like 2

Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thanks for your response.

Seems the me that a float switch would have to float up and down as the water level changes. When it drops to a certain level the switch would have to be triggered to close thus sending power to an alarm. It's always the little details in these things that cause the biggest problems isn't? Be nice if there was a commercial product that would provide a solution. I bet that there is.

Edited by Lee
spelling

Snowy79
Posted
Posted (edited)

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

You've got the right idea. If the tank has more water than needed to trigger the alarm, the float switch is always floating. It will only drop when the water drops below the float to make it drop. This is exactly the system I used on my yacht for an automatic bilge pump switch. The big difference was that the switch circuit was always "open" when the float was down, then closed and activated the pump when the water level rose.

Anyway, JGF and Snowy are leading you down the right path to simple, packaged systems... Good luck!

Edited by Tommy T.