MY FAMILY’S SLAVE By Alez Tizon

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Wow!  Sad commentary on the parents but what a great story!  Thanks for sharing!

mountainside
Posted
Posted

A very moving story told by a very gifted narrator.  Thank you.

P_X
Posted
Posted

Even though I've read this before..its been awhile.  But I found myself hoping the ending would be more joyous. 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, P_X said:

Even though I've read this before..its been awhile.  But I found myself hoping the ending would be more joyous. 

Let me help with that!

:28::4390::56fdd33da67bc_santadance::happy-birthday-cake: :56da64a8e0a60_13_4_101:

Happy ending now. 

Sorry, could not resist. :4617:

• Haha 1

P_X
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Let me help with that!

:28::4390::56fdd33da67bc_santadance::happy-birthday-cake: :56da64a8e0a60_13_4_101:

Happy ending now. 

Ah shucks, why didn't I think of that 😂 

• 3 weeks later...
Hestecrefter
Posted
Posted

Thanks so much for posting that.  A good read indeed.  A shining example of the indomitable Filipino spirit. 

Apart from the stark portrayal of Lola's life, I appreciated the vignettes woven into the telling, such as the simple description of the author's arrival in Lola's home province, for example:

Four lanes became two, pavement turned to gravel. Tricycle drivers wove between cars and water buffalo pulling loads of bamboo. An occasional dog or goat sprinted across the road in front of our truck, almost grazing the bumper. Doods never eased up. Whatever didn’t make it across would be stew today instead of tomorrow—the rule of the road in the provinces.
I took out a map and traced the route to the village of Mayantoc, our destination. Out the window, in the distance, tiny figures folded at the waist like so many bent nails. People harvesting rice, the same way they had for thousands of years. We were getting close.

So very evocative of scenes I am sure many of us have witnessed many times in the Phils, away from the cities.  Gives me a renewed appreciation of those forays into the province, and leaves me wanting more.

• Like 3

jimeve
Posted
Posted
On 4/18/2023 at 5:24 AM, Jollygoodfellow said:

Let me help with that!

Happy ending now. 

I love happy endings.:whistling:

• Like 1