Cell/wireless

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Has anyone used a cell phone in the Philippines as an Internet connection,I mean with a phone with a built in wireless LAN such as the one in the picture with full keypad.

post-1-12612730917044_thumb.jpg

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Anyone ever looked into this?th_hu.gif

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Has anyone used a cell phone in the Philippines as an Internet connection,I mean with a phone with a built in wireless LAN such as the one in the picture with full keypad.
I use a Blackberry Curve 8320 which is sort of like the phone you have pictured and my wife uses a Samsung Katalyst and both are capable of going online or of UMA connect to the Internet. On our last trip earlier this year I tried both on Smart and they did work to log on to the Internet however it was very slow. I also tried it with my US sim in the phone the UMA connection allows me to make free US calls when I log onto any wireless router. The way this works on Smart is that they charge p10 per half hour based on their time clock and on the half hour and hour, so it is important to set up your phone with their clock by doing a buddy balance and setting your phone for their clocks time and then using your phone at say 12:01 or 12:31 or any other hours right after the half hour change over or they will charge you the p10 for less minutes such as if you sign on to the Internet at 12:55 then you would pay p10 for 5 minutes of use. I have also used a cable to hook my phone to my laptop to use as a modem and that was even slower, so not worth the trouble IMO. I am not sure if this is the information you were seeking and I was trying to allow others to answer first because I did not find it cost effective to use the Internet that way and maybe others had better results with their phones.

post-40-12613823394799_thumb.jpg

post-40-12613827385222_thumb.gif