Cow Manure

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Ia it true that when using cow manure in pots that I should soak the manure in water to burst any grass seeds, save having to pull out weeds later on?

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

soak the manure in water

I have to admit I never heard of that, but some variation of that is apparently a "thing" in some places:

Gardeners frequently use liquid manure (they call it “manure tea”) and every gardener does it differently. The most common process is to take a shovel full of composted manure (raw or fresh manure should not be used on edible crops) and place it into a container. Fill the container with water and let it sit. Some gardeners pour off the brown liquid (the “manure tea”) after a few days, others let it sit for a month or more.

• Like 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

I will let you know how it goes, the reason I am doing this is I covered a few pots with burnt Rice husks to stop the sparrows feeding on the raw rice husks but now their is weeds sprouting in every pot.

I have had some chicken manure soaking for a week, tomorrow I will get the tea off that and feed the papaya with it.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

Woodchips, sawdust or hay and lucurne are good for a topper, they keep the moisture in and the birds don't love it.  Availability might me an issue though.  Coconut coir is great too for the nutrients it adds as well as looks nice.

Edited by BrettGC

Onemore52
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thanks Brett, we are trying to source sawdust from a coco timber sawmill, as a means of adjusting the PH of our soil which is too Alkaline for our plants.

cheers

Edited by Onemore52
Grammar
  • Like 1