Flights to and from Manila canceled due to power outage, again

CebuAndy
Posted
Posted (edited)

Several flights to and from Manila were either delayed or canceled due to a power outage that hit the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) Terminal 3 at dawn on Monday, May 1, 2023.

https://www.sunstar.com.ph/article/1960039/manila/local-news/flights-to-and-from-manila-canceled-due-to-power-outage

Last outage was New Years Day, stranding 600 flights and 65,000 passengers.

The Manila Electric Co. confirmed that power was fully restored at NAIA Terminal 3, nine hours after an outage disrupted flights in one of the Philippines’ busiest gateways on Labor Day.

https://www.philstar.com/business/2023/05/01/2262982/meralco-confirms-power-naia-t3-fully-restored

Senators wonder if airport authorities learned anything from last NAIA mess

https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2023/05/01/2262989/senators-wonder-if-airport-authorities-learned-anything-last-naia-mess

Edited by CebuAndy

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, CebuAndy said:

Several flights to and from Manila were either delayed or canceled due to a power outage that hit the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) Terminal 3 at dawn on Monday, May 1, 2023.

Do you mean there are no back-up emergency generators?

• Haha 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, JJReyes said:

<snip>In a statement, the Manila International Airport Authority (MIAA) said that the standby power is currently supplying electricity to critical facilities in the airport, especially the computer systems of airlines, as well as immigration to continue processing both inbound and outbound passengers.<snip>

What I find a bit amusing is the use of the word "several flights".  It then lists 24 flights cancelled just with Cebu Pacific as "among the cancelled flights".  :tongue: 

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, JJReyes said:

images.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

longway
Posted
Posted

I read that the investigation into the New Years Day electrical failure was also a failure, No root cause was found just a bunch of post failure glitchs. This told me it was bound to happen again. At Least this time the emergency back up generators came on, to power some functions, or at least that is what is being reported.  I was one of the thousands effected New Years, flight cancelled and rescheduled for 5 days later.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Mike J said:

<snip>In a statement, the Manila International Airport Authority (MIAA) said that the standby power is currently supplying electricity to critical facilities in the airport, especially the computer systems of airlines, as well as immigration to continue processing both inbound and outbound passengers.<snip>

What I find a bit amusing is the use of the word "several flights".  It then lists 24 flights cancelled just with Cebu Pacific as "among the cancelled flights".  :tongue: 

Simple enough solution - buy more generators!  :whistling:

Lee
Posted
Posted

Update of sorts.

ANC News has reported that the airspace around NAIA will be shut down for 6 hours on May 17. (Hrs shutdown weren't specified)

Time will be used to replace the UPS that failed on New Years Day.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Lee said:

Update of sorts.

ANC News has reported that the airspace around NAIA will be shut down for 6 hours on May 17. (Hrs shutdown weren't specified)

Time will be used to replace the UPS that failed on New Years Day.

Midnight to 6am according to the report I read.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 5/3/2023 at 1:05 PM, hk blues said:

Midnight to 6am according to the report I read.

I read that it would be all Philippines airspace.  I hope they give plenty of notice to the aliens.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

I read that it would be all Philippines airspace.  I hope they give plenty of notice to the aliens.

Seems not - I didn't get any heads up! 

• Haha 1