The Documentary That Isn't

mountainside
Posted
Posted

A YouTube "documentary" about Quezon City gangs turns out to be fiction, according to the Inquirer.  The "documentary" had nearly 8 million views when I watched it a few moments ago.  Here's the Inquirer article:  

MANILA, Philippines — After a fake documentary about gangs in the Philippines went viral online, the Quezon City Police Department (QCPD) located the video’s actors and said that charges will be filed against the person who created the movie.

The documentary titled “No-Go Zones: Philippines Gangs” was posted on a Facebook page called “Free Documentary”, which was originally named “Amazon Prime Video”, said the QCPD. While the video has only been up since April 25, it has already garnered 2.3 million views, 64,000 reactions and 9,300 shares.

ADVERTISEMENT

The video revolves around a fabricated gang called the “Batangas City Jail Gang,” and makes false claims such as drugs being punishable by death. This is easily debunked by the fact that the death penalty is not legal in the country.

The QCPD also fact-checked the statistics presented by the fake documentary, saying that the actual crime statistics in the city did not match up to what it said.

“Based on QCPD records regarding the crime incidents of Quezon City, the statistics presented in the viral video are incorrect and misleading people. Crime incidents in Quezon City had actually decreased this year as a result of the efficient public order and safety interventions of the city government and law enforcement agency,” the police department said.

Swindled actors

In the video, the actors were made to act as if they are part of rival gangs in a violent city full of crime.

The QCPD tracked down the actors in the video, who were identified as Jonathan Peralta, Allan Gelera, Ronnie Legarto, Ronnel Salinog, and Alvin Zaplan. They were interviewed by police, where it was found out they were swindled into acting in the video.

They were recruited by digital creator Marj Estrada-Rosas Life’s Beautiful Media Productions Inc. through someone named Rolando Bolito.

“Bolito promised to pay them P500 each and groceries to re-enact the video. However, they only received P200 each as initial payment. They also affirmed that the producer assured them that their faces will be blurred, but this did not transpire in the uploaded video,” said the QCPD.

As a result, charges will be filed against Rosas for swindling, in accordance with Republic Act 10951.

The video can still be seen on Facebook, despite the QCPD debunking the claims it made.

https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1762778/viral-documentary-about-a-fake-ph-gang-garners-2-5m-views-qcpd-tracks-actors#ixzz82DoHwD90

And here's the YouTube link:  

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, mountainside said:

charges will be filed against the person who created the movie

That's just not right.   Deepfake videos serve a useful social purpose and are protected by Canadian copyright laws.  I had hoped they would also be protected in the Philippines.  It is educational to learn how to create, spot, and research fake videos.  People need to learn to disbelieve crap they see on Youtube until they can verify it.

I wonder if it was monetized.

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

That's just not right.   Deepfake videos serve a useful social purpose and are protected by Canadian copyright laws.  I had hoped they would also be protected in the Philippines.  It is educational to learn how to create, spot, and research fake videos.  People need to learn to disbelieve crap they see on Youtube until they can verify it.

Although I personally agree with you, we all know that the majority of ppl believe what they see on platforms like YouTube, Wastebook, TickityToc, etc to be 100% true. And they keep sharing / spreading the fake news. Even when confronted with the facts many still believe the false narrative and will say the actual facts are false. 

• Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I can see two sides to this.  On one side, folk should be responsible for making decisions about the accuracy of what they read and see but on the other, there are some pretty professional fake things put there and how can folk reasonably be expected to make a judgement in such cases?  

Fool me once, shame on you springs to mind.  

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I think Gator is correct.

Let's face it most Filipinos are somewhat gullible and unlikely to pickup on subtle clues or take the effort to substantiate fact from fiction. 

• Like 4

mountainside
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:
9 hours ago, mountainside said:

charges will be filed against the person who created the movie

I've never really thought about the positive aspects of deepfakes, but I read the article to say that the creator was being charged with swindling the actors, not the public.

• Like 1

mountainside
Posted
Posted (edited)

And now here's another one, about the son of a trike driver who who was accepted into 30 foreign universities with scholarships worth php 106 million  According to the Philstar, https://philstarlife.com/self/874187-son-tricycle-driver-vendor-accepted-30-universities-106-million-pesos-scholarships:

Julian Martir is the youngest among four children of a tricycle driver father and a vendor mother. He might not have been born into privilege, but he has earned an opportunity of a lifetime: to be accepted in a number of schools abroad.

Over the past several months, the 20-year-old received acceptance letters from 30 schools in the United Kindom and the United States, along with merit scholarships collectively amounting to $1.9 million (around P106 million). He can now make a choice: to have a chance at a good life and to make a change for his family.

International schools that accepted the Bacolod resident include Ohio Wesleyan University, Clarkson University, Hofstra University, Marquette University, Alfred University, Xavier University, Duquesne University, DePaul University, Regis University, Simmons University, Woodbury University, The University of Texas at Arlington, New Jersey Institute of Technology, Webster University, Ball State University, University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, University of Connecticut, The George Washington University, Fordham University, Kent State University, Michigan Technological University, The University of Arizona, The University of New Hampshire, Drexel University, Johnson and Wales University, University of Massachusetts Boston, Stony Brook University, the University of Colorado Boulder, Clemson University, and Richmond, The American International University in London.

For now, he's keeping his options open in view of his personal circumstances.

"I continue to think about attending universities in Australia, such as the University of Sydney and the University of Queensland, while being waitlisted on a priority list at Connecticut College. I have to keep important factors in mind when I make choices, like the location where my uncle lives, the programs offered, the cost of attendance, the safety of the campus environment, and the extracurricular activities available to students," Julian told PhilSTAR L!fe.

To achieve his remarkable feat, the Negros Occidental High School alumnus took a gap year to prepare for college applications.

"After graduating from senior high school, taking a gap year is taboo, and others will have the stereotype that people who are taking a gap year are called 'tamad mag-aral' or 'walang pangarap sa buhay,' showing how important it is to address those preconceived beliefs. In my experience, it was nerve-racking at first because I decided not to continue my education the first time, despite students remaining inspired to pursue their education for different reasons," Julian explained.

Back then, he simply encountered on his YouTube recommendations a group of aspiring international students who wanted to maximize the available generous scholarships offered by prestigious universities.

He admitted being "baffled" by the undergraduate admission processes abroad but persisted with his mission.

"Now that I had never heard of anyone in my community or even in the city of Bacolod applying to a college abroad, I wanted to put a spotlight on my family and the people who have supported me throughout this exhausting procedure by writing over 100 essays, searching through interview questions and how to make a good impression on the alumni interviewers, compiling the necessary transcript of records and certifications to upload in my application portal, and other responsibilities," Julian wrote in an essay.

Fortunately, he found along the way a college admissions expert on a WhatsApp group to answer all his questions.

The young Filipino was also able to overcome his fear of rejection by looking instead to the realm of possibilities: "It is normal to feel scared and nervous when waiting for college decisions, as we all know the competition is increasing every year. Just remember that attending college is more important than the image of a college that indulges in pessimism."

His practical advice is to start applications in early August, research colleges and their programs if they are a good fit, check the application requirements to find out if they require an English proficiency test or other necessary documents, prepare to apply for financial aid, and follow up with admissions counselors.

For now, he can't wait to start college so he can finally "contribute to our community by bridging the disparity between science and technology." He is especially excited to study computer science and mathematics.

"Education is everyone's responsibility, and it is still there for you. But it is up to you to decide whether you want to use your personal interests to your advantage, such as by working for a company, taking online advanced courses before enrolling in college, refreshing your mind with self-help books, or learning from your past mistakes to become a better version of yourself," Julian told L!fe.

"The experiences mentioned are what I did to learn what it is like to have your own niche and to understand that being independent brings comfort, keeps me sane, and gives me the freedom to explore whatever I want," he added.

Except, according to these folks who followed up on the story, the young fella apparently made it all up and pranked several Philippine national news outlets.  https://pop.inquirer.net/344687/did-the-public-just-fall-for-a-fake-international-scholarship-story-from-a-teenager?utm_source=gallery&utm_medium=direct

According to newer story, "The topic eventually became a fodder for social media chismisan, soon as Filipinos caught wind of the situation, with some questioning if the Filipinos’ critical thinking level is that low to suspend better judgment of this news, and why the Philippine media did not double the effort to fact-check a large, incredible claim that, when you think about it, checks all the hallmarks of a carefully concocted sap story. Others also commented on how embarrassing it was to see so many Filipinos become victims of a story by capitalizing on their sympathy."

Edited by mountainside
  • Thanks 1

Lee
Posted
Posted

There is a sucker born every minute.  P.T. Barnum

Whether he said this or not is debatable----the sentiment behind the saying certainly isn't 

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
On 5/21/2023 at 12:52 AM, mountainside said:

And now here's another one, about the son of a trike driver who who was accepted into 30 foreign universities with scholarships worth php 106 million  According to the Philstar, https://philstarlife.com/self/874187-son-tricycle-driver-vendor-accepted-30-universities-106-million-pesos-scholarships:

Julian Martir is the youngest among four children of a tricycle driver father and a vendor mother. He might not have been born into privilege, but he has earned an opportunity of a lifetime: to be accepted in a number of schools abroad.

Over the past several months, the 20-year-old received acceptance letters from 30 schools in the United Kindom and the United States, along with merit scholarships collectively amounting to $1.9 million (around P106 million). He can now make a choice: to have a chance at a good life and to make a change for his family.

International schools that accepted the Bacolod resident include Ohio Wesleyan University, Clarkson University, Hofstra University, Marquette University, Alfred University, Xavier University, Duquesne University, DePaul University, Regis University, Simmons University, Woodbury University, The University of Texas at Arlington, New Jersey Institute of Technology, Webster University, Ball State University, University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, University of Connecticut, The George Washington University, Fordham University, Kent State University, Michigan Technological University, The University of Arizona, The University of New Hampshire, Drexel University, Johnson and Wales University, University of Massachusetts Boston, Stony Brook University, the University of Colorado Boulder, Clemson University, and Richmond, The American International University in London.

For now, he's keeping his options open in view of his personal circumstances.

"I continue to think about attending universities in Australia, such as the University of Sydney and the University of Queensland, while being waitlisted on a priority list at Connecticut College. I have to keep important factors in mind when I make choices, like the location where my uncle lives, the programs offered, the cost of attendance, the safety of the campus environment, and the extracurricular activities available to students," Julian told PhilSTAR L!fe.

To achieve his remarkable feat, the Negros Occidental High School alumnus took a gap year to prepare for college applications.

"After graduating from senior high school, taking a gap year is taboo, and others will have the stereotype that people who are taking a gap year are called 'tamad mag-aral' or 'walang pangarap sa buhay,' showing how important it is to address those preconceived beliefs. In my experience, it was nerve-racking at first because I decided not to continue my education the first time, despite students remaining inspired to pursue their education for different reasons," Julian explained.

Back then, he simply encountered on his YouTube recommendations a group of aspiring international students who wanted to maximize the available generous scholarships offered by prestigious universities.

He admitted being "baffled" by the undergraduate admission processes abroad but persisted with his mission.

"Now that I had never heard of anyone in my community or even in the city of Bacolod applying to a college abroad, I wanted to put a spotlight on my family and the people who have supported me throughout this exhausting procedure by writing over 100 essays, searching through interview questions and how to make a good impression on the alumni interviewers, compiling the necessary transcript of records and certifications to upload in my application portal, and other responsibilities," Julian wrote in an essay.

Fortunately, he found along the way a college admissions expert on a WhatsApp group to answer all his questions.

The young Filipino was also able to overcome his fear of rejection by looking instead to the realm of possibilities: "It is normal to feel scared and nervous when waiting for college decisions, as we all know the competition is increasing every year. Just remember that attending college is more important than the image of a college that indulges in pessimism."

His practical advice is to start applications in early August, research colleges and their programs if they are a good fit, check the application requirements to find out if they require an English proficiency test or other necessary documents, prepare to apply for financial aid, and follow up with admissions counselors.

For now, he can't wait to start college so he can finally "contribute to our community by bridging the disparity between science and technology." He is especially excited to study computer science and mathematics.

"Education is everyone's responsibility, and it is still there for you. But it is up to you to decide whether you want to use your personal interests to your advantage, such as by working for a company, taking online advanced courses before enrolling in college, refreshing your mind with self-help books, or learning from your past mistakes to become a better version of yourself," Julian told L!fe.

"The experiences mentioned are what I did to learn what it is like to have your own niche and to understand that being independent brings comfort, keeps me sane, and gives me the freedom to explore whatever I want," he added.

Except, according to these folks who followed up on the story, the young fella apparently made it all up and pranked several Philippine national news outlets.  https://pop.inquirer.net/344687/did-the-public-just-fall-for-a-fake-international-scholarship-story-from-a-teenager?utm_source=gallery&utm_medium=direct

According to newer story, "The topic eventually became a fodder for social media chismisan, soon as Filipinos caught wind of the situation, with some questioning if the Filipinos’ critical thinking level is that low to suspend better judgment of this news, and why the Philippine media did not double the effort to fact-check a large, incredible claim that, when you think about it, checks all the hallmarks of a carefully concocted sap story. Others also commented on how embarrassing it was to see so many Filipinos become victims of a story by capitalizing on their sympathy."

I just caught up with the story this morning.

One thing which struck me as being very 'off' was the editorial comment along the lines of so what if he was lying, he's not doing any harm.  That kind of mentality is not one I think that should be promoted. 

• Like 3
  • Love it 1