Equivalent To Catfish

russellmania
Posted
Posted

What brand of fish is sold in the Philippines that reminds you guys of Catfish. Or is Catfish sold here in Phils?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Just now, russellmania said:

Or is Catfish sold here in Phils?

It is sold here my friend:tiphat: in our Robinsons you buy them alive and you choose what you want and they do the rest. 

• Like 1

russellmania
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

It is sold here my friend:tiphat: in our Robinsons you buy them alive and you choose what you want and they do the rest. 

I will check the Robinsons here in Cebu City,,,thanks

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, russellmania said:

What brand of fish is sold in the Philippines that reminds you guys of Catfish. Or is Catfish sold here in Phils?

I’ve seen it occasionally in SM on ice, but never bought it. 

Pangasius aka Swai aka Basa has a similar taste, but a bit milder and not quite as firm. Some ppl say Tilapia is also similar, but I find it much more mild and not as firm as a nice channel catfish or even a big blue. 

RBM
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Gator said:

I’ve seen it occasionally in SM on ice, but never bought it. 

Pangasius aka Swai aka Basa has a similar taste, but a bit milder and not quite as firm. Some ppl say Tilapia is also similar, but I find it much more mild and not as firm as a nice channel catfish or even a big blue. 

Watched a video on this a few years ago, in Vietnam they had the pools directly under large pig pens......As I understood many countries had banned the importation of same, mercury levels were of the clock

driveallnight
Posted
Posted

Isn’t “dory” listed on any restaurant menu here catfish?

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, driveallnight said:

Isn’t “dory” listed on any restaurant menu here catfish?

From wikipedia <snip>catfishes are referred to as cream dory, Pangasius dory or Pacific dory.<end snip>

But are almost certainly selling selling is neither dory nor catfish, it is tilapia.   I am fond of mild tasting fish like tilapia, halibut, and mahi mahi, but I also like grilled or BBQ salmon.  Personally I like tilapia breaded and deep-fried.  My wife, like many Filipino, does not care for tilapia as she says she wants fish that taste like fish. 

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Name is very important.  No one wants to eat tilapia because one of their food sources is another creatures' waste.  Some restaurants in Honolulu decided to call it "Hawaiian Sunfish" for the tourist trade, but regulators required the additional label ("tilapia").  The practice ended.

• Like 1