Air Purifiers

OzeMike
Posted
Posted

Have been bedroom bound 2 weeks now and counting with my knee injuries including a torn hamstring necessitating wearing a leg immobilizer :sad: my allergy (hayfever?) symptoms have gotten really bad.

The lot next to us is overgrown with grasses and has a huge mango tree which almost reaches our walls (we had cut back a year or so ago to stop bush rats getting into our roof cavity. 

Our small aircon is the hole in the wall type with a simple plastic type filter. We had the aircon deep cleaned on our return from the land of Oz.

Taking antihistamines and eye drops but can't ger on top of it... so wondering if an Air Filter would be worth investing in? The type that sits on your bedside table or maybe the floor. Do they work and what size and make would anyone in the know recommend?

• Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, OzeMike said:

Have been bedroom bound 2 weeks now and counting with my knee injuries including a torn hamstring necessitating wearing a leg immobilizer :sad: my allergy (hayfever?) symptoms have gotten really bad.

The lot next to us is overgrown with grasses and has a huge mango tree which almost reaches our walls (we had cut back a year or so ago to stop bush rats getting into our roof cavity. 

Our small aircon is the hole in the wall type with a simple plastic type filter. We had the aircon deep cleaned on our return from the land of Oz.

Taking antihistamines and eye drops but can't ger on top of it... so wondering if an Air Filter would be worth investing in? The type that sits on your bedside table or maybe the floor. Do they work and what size and make would anyone in the know recommend?

Sounds like what you need is a room size HEPA air filter.  I had a good sized one that I used in the US.  My allergies are not as bad here so I get by using meds.  The small ones that sit beside the bed really don't do much.  Check Lazada for "HEPA Filters".  Sort from Highest price to Lowest and the good ones will be at the top of the list.  The one I had worked really well, amazing what I saw when I cleaned it.  It looked sort of like this one from Lazada @ 9300 peso.

7c3d35e7e880c90ba6328eb15cf3401c.jpg_400x400q75.jpg_.webp

Edited by Mike J
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Mike, you may want to talk with your doctor about those symptoms could be something other than pollen allergy. Is there a way you could deep clean the house? Perhaps there could be mold or the like invisible to the eye or hidden under something.

Quality filters are not dirt cheap. The machines are by room size (cubic air) and the units have that information listed.

We also have a Levoit HEPA air filter and find it helpful reducing allergy symptoms. Want to buy a larger one for the living area.

Edited by Old55
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Possum
Posted
Posted

I'd suggest putting the inexpensive paper filters over the AC filter screen, we have found they help and also cut down on the cleaning frequency. Try wearing a mask for a trial period. If your issue continues after that maybe you should seen a proper allergy doctor, if you can find one. I too recently had allergy issues, took benedryl which helped a little. Then the rains came and things got better for me. It's a miserable feeling though while one is going thru it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Mike, do you often have a fan or the aircon blowing on your face? It could be Dry Nose syndrome. Dry Nose symptoms are a runny nose & congestion. I would see a doctor.

• Like 3

Possum
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Old55 said:

Mike, do you often have a fan or the aircon blowing on your face?

Very good point ! Fans are great for blowing dust and pollen up your nose, learned that the hard way. Additionally when I bought a vacuum and stopped the 3 times a day sweeping with a broom I improved.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

My problem was halved when we removed the indoor plants and kept non allergenic plants on the Terrace ( keeping succulents only)  :tiphat: We are in the Blossom time now so the Trees will give off pollen if fruiters.

Edited by Jack Peterson
added a line
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

OzeMike
Posted
Posted

Thanks to everyone for great advice...will put most of it into action. Plus will checkout the air filters on Lazada and Shopee. 

The heavy rain today seem to help.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, OzeMike said:

Thanks to everyone for great advice...will put most of it into action. Plus will checkout the air filters on Lazada and Shopee. 

The heavy rain today seem to help.

S & R has some of the larger room air purifiers.  We bought our Tyler brand there for around 13 k on sale but I thing the same one is 18k now.  Seems to work fine but does nothing for my daughter's dog allergy, which is logical.  We bought it for overall air cleansing in our bedroom.

Edit:  Apparently 20k now.

https://www.tylrhome.com/collections/air-purifier/products/air-purifier-8609?variant=44950040648

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Joey G
Posted
Posted

I have found most over the counter room air purifiers ineffective... mainly because the rooms are not sealed.... and the volume they purify is minimal compared to what they advertise.  But... if it does enough to help... then it's worth it.  A good aircon filter might be best.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1