Throw-away & “onward ticket” services

mountainside
Posted
Posted

We have refundable one-way tickets for September travel from the US to Cebu-Mactan, via Korea.  I understand that Korea can be problematic for travelers to the Phils with only one-way tickets.

We’ll travel on tourist visas with Balikbayan privilege.  I can print out and have available the Inter-Agency Task Force resolution that states no tickets for onward travel are required for Balikbayans.  But I’ve read that not all carriers will understand and permit boarding.  

So I’m exploring onward tickets that we won’t use.  I’ve read about throw-away tickets and “onward ticket” services, but isn’t it less expensive all around just to buy a couple refundable onward tickets and get a refund once in the Phils?  

Or do carriers actually check ticket codes for refundable status, and not accept such tickets?

It’s been four years since we’ve traveled internationally, so I’m pretty out-of-date on the best ways to avoid boarding hassles.  I assume that the very existence of “onward ticketing” services proves their value, but I don’t see the value for us.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, mountainside said:

I understand that Korea can be problematic for travelers to the Phils with only one-way tickets.

I have never seen that.  Perhaps its because I almost never go through immigration and exit the secure area of Inchon airport.  I did it once, to check it out, but there is no need to do that.

• Thanks 1

mountainside
Posted
Posted
50 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I almost never go through immigration and exit the secure area of Inchon airport.

We'll stay inside.  Hoping for no boarding hassles with Asiana on one-way tickets and 200 pounds of baggage.

Joey G
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, mountainside said:

Hoping for no boarding hassles with Asiana on one-way tickets and 200 pounds of baggage.

Boarding hassles...  depending on the origin and check-in agent in the USA, I've had friends have had needed to get managers involved for one-way and even anything more than a month as Balikbayans. I would have a printout out the Balikbayan rules for their viewing.  As long as your travel is all on Asiana.... you should have boarding passes for all flights when you check-in in the USA, so in Korea they'll just check your boarding pass and your passport again. 

200 lbs. of luggage... read below and check it out online.  Excess baggage isn't cheap and they may need advance notice depending on weight... AND they caveat that it could still be denied depending on cargo availability. I would think unlikely, but they mention it. 

https://flyasiana.com/C/US/EN/contents/excess-baggage

Excess Baggage (International)

Even if the total size (length + width + height) of the baggage does not exceed 292 cm, shipment may be denied on the day of departure, depending on cargo space availability.

Excess baggage fees will be charged for baggage that exceeds the free baggage allowance.

Excess baggage fees are based on the quantity, weight, and size of the baggage, and vary depending on the flight time of each route.

Depending on the local currency, excess baggage fees may differ for flights departing from overseas locations. 

The maximum weight and volume of checked baggage may vary by The country of departure or arrival.

For the safety of the baggage handlers, the maximum weight of the checked baggage should not exceed 32 kg. Transportation of the baggage may be denied, otherwise.

Currency used for payment

* Departing from Korea: KRW

* Departing from the U.S.: USD

* Departing from all other countries: USD standard amount is converted into local currency according to the bank sell rate on that day.

Excess Baggage Fees by Route

U.S. Routes

This is a notice about excess baggage fees charged on international flights to the U.S.

If you have baggage that exceeds both the quantity limit and weight/specifications limit, excess baggage charges will apply for both.

TypeBasisRoute

Asia (including Oceania) - U.S. Routes

Excess Baggage Fee1 piece
(23kg, sum of three dimensions ~158cm)KRW 200,000
USD 200
CAD 200
(KRW 175,000/USD 75/CAD 175 for Brazil departures/arrivals) 

Excess Weight Fee24kg ~ 32kgKRW 100,000
USD 100
CAD 100
(free for Brazil departures/arrivals) 

33kg ~ 45kg
* Advance notice required KRW 400,000
USD 400
CAD 400
(KRW 350,000/USD350/CAD 350 for Brazil departures/arrivals)

Excess Bulk FeeSum of three dimensions
158 ~ 203cmKRW 200,000
USD 200
CAD 200
(KRW 175,000/USD175/CAD 175 for Brazil departures/arrivals) 

Cost of one applicable excess baggage fee will be charged

Sum of three dimensions between
204cm ~ 292cm
* Advance notice requiredKRW 400,000
USD 400
CAD 400
(KRW 350,000/USD350/CAD 350 for Brazil departures/arrivals) 

Double the cost of applicable excess baggage fees will be charged

• Thanks 1

mountainside
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Joey G said:

As long as your travel is all on Asiana.... you should have boarding passes for all flights when you check-in in the USA, so in Korea they'll just check your boarding pass and your passport again. 

United to Korea (long story) then Asiana to Cebu.  All booked directly with United.  The United app "should" get me Asiana boarding passes before leaving the US.  But in the past, while waiting to board at a foreign airlines' gate (or proactively checking in at their desk) I've always had to deal with agents who necessarily check my visa and onward flight status even when I've had a boarding pass.  All was good with the old SRRV, but I ain't got that any more.  And that's where the drama, if any, will occur.  Don't want to be denied boarding, regardless of whether or not my baggage has been loaded on the aircraft.

So that's what got me wondering about throw-away tickets and "onward ticket" services.

I've learned the hard way (more than once, I'm sorry to say) about excess baggage.  We'll fly premium economy plus on the United leg, which gives us four pieces of 50 lb luggage checked all the way to Cebu.  Our version of airborne balikbayan boxes :)

Edited by mountainside

Possum
Posted
Posted

Transferring flights at the Inchon airport is PIA now. Long lines, passport scanned 3 times, no signs indicating how they want items placed on xray belt so a lot of confusion. [only 2 items per tray] So it can take awhile. It's easier to go thru immigration and enter Korea than to change planes there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sailor Jerry
Posted
Posted

You possibly may not need one but if any issues with requiring an onward ticket it’s a pretty easy process these days. Just jump on onwardticket.com (I’ve used many many times.)  Cost per traveller is US$14 and you have your ticket itinerary in a few minutes. if it’s purchased in the 48 hrs time frame of if you need to show it, and they want to check it, it is an actual ticket. You get your itinerary to show and it’s all good. It’s legit. 

Hopefully you can save your money & won’t need, but in my case, when I’m on a tourist visa I need to have a ticket out within 30 days. Hope this is of use. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Patryk
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Sailor Jerry said:

You possibly may not need one but if any issues with requiring an onward ticket it’s a pretty easy process these days. Just jump on onwardticket.com (I’ve used many many times.)  Cost per traveller is US$14 and you have your ticket itinerary in a few minutes. if it’s purchased in the 48 hrs time frame of if you need to show it, and they want to check it, it is an actual ticket. You get your itinerary to show and it’s all good. It’s legit. 

Hopefully you can save your money & won’t need, but in my case, when I’m on a tourist visa I need to have a ticket out within 30 days. Hope this is of use. 

Same experience with onward ticket, I had it checked by airlines at transfer deck few times (Lufthansa, singapore airlines etc), no issues. They know it is "rented" ticket but as far is valid you are good.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1