6.3 Magnitude Earth Quake This Morning

Gator
Posted
Posted

Any else feel the quake this morning? I was sitting in my reclining sofa and it suddenly felt like a reclining rocker. Even my mug of coffee got some minor wave action going! 

Fortunately no major damage reported (yet) anywhere. 

https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2023/06/15/2274075/magnitude-62-quake-shakes-parts-luzon-including-metro-manila

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

We were at the Xenia hotel in Clark.  I was on the 6th floor in our room, lying on the sofa, enjoying coffee and watching the news.  My wife and 3 daughters were at the pool, which is on the 4th floor level.

At that location, it was a long rolling sensation.  I felt it, got up, opened the heavy sliding door to the balcony so I could check the family, and the kids were scrambling out of the pool at my wife's urgent beckoning.  The pool is very far from our room and balcony.  I waved after they were out and my wife made a shaking gesture.  I went back inside and shut the sliding door.  I still felt it.  I think I felt it for at least 30 seconds.

My wife told me later that she got a pre-alert on her phone about 5 seconds before it started.  I think those come from Google / Android and I have got them at the house before, for small quakes.  I do not know why I did not get one today.  She also said the pool water did start sloshing some and that is when she got the kids out.  She was very frightened.  After everything seemed ok, the kids were back in the pool.  No worries.

We have had a few decent jolts at our house in Subic.  This was the longest, and a bit unnerving because we were "out of our element" and also separated.   Glad to hear that there were no major damages or injuries.  All of the decent jerks over the last few years have come from the ocean SW of Batangas.  Maybe this one was related to the recent activity at Taal volcano?  My neighbors back in Subic said it was strong.

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I was a few hundred km away from the epicentre laying on my sofa on Boracay as a text came in warning of the earthquake and just then felt a small shake for about 3 seconds, no way would I have felt it if walking around. I can only imagine how it must have felt nearby.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Earthquakes, typhoons, tsunamis are to be expected if you live in the Philippines.  At home, have at least two weeks supply of water and non-perishable food.  Add to that a medical kit and prescription medication.  

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

My wife told me later that she got a pre-alert on her phone about 5 seconds before it started.

That fascinates me.  I did not know that technology was good enough to issue an earthquake alert before the earthquake happens.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

That fascinates me.  I did not know that technology was good enough to issue an earthquake alert before the earthquake happens.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2022/10/how-google-alerted-californians-to-an-earthquake-before-it-happened/

Here’s how it works: When an earthquake occurs, it sends softer seismic waves, known as P waves, through the ground. Not everyone in the earthquake’s area will feel these, but a network of 1,300 USGS sensors do. When four sensors are simultaneously triggered, they send an alert to a data processing center. If that data meets the right criteria, the ShakeAlert system determines that stronger S waves, the kind that can cause damage and hurt people, could be on the way. It’s then that warning systems, like Google’s, an app called MyShake, or government agencies like the Federal Emergency Management Agency and transit systems, will interpret the data and send out alerts.

• Like 5
  • Hmm thinking 1

Sailor Jerry
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Bizarre, as I too got a funny ring on my phone I didn't recognise & walked across the kitchen picked up phone & as I was reading it hit! Live on 10th floor & before I knew it my girlfriend was racing into the bedroom to change. After a few shakes in last couple of years, we have a running joke when I want her to be faster getting ready before we go out by me saying, quick it's an earthquake lol!

• Haha 2