Diabetes cases to double to 1.3 billion by 2050

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Keep investing in big food companies and big pharma, and you will be fine, financially.  It's going to take a lot of junk food to fuel this, and a lot of pills to keep you alive.

https://www.manilatimes.net/2023/06/23/world/diabetes-cases-to-double-to-13-billion-by-2050/1897450

PARIS, France: The number of people suffering from diabetes worldwide will more than double to 1.3 billion by 2050 driven by structural racism and gaping inequality between countries, new research predicted on Friday.

Every country on the globe will see an increase in the number of patients with the chronic disease, according to the most comprehensive analysis of global data projecting out to 2050.

Some 529 million people were estimated to already be living with diabetes, one of the top 10 causes of death and disability.

That number — 95 percent of which are cases of type 2 diabetes — will top 1.3 billion in less than three decades, according to a study published in the Lancet journal.

High body mass index — an indication that people could be overweight — was linked to more than half of deaths and disability from diabetes.

Get the latest news delivered to your inbox
Enter Your Email
By signing up with an email address, I acknowledge that I have read and agree to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
Other factors included people's diets, exercise, smoking and alcohol.

Liane Ong, lead research scientist at the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) and first author of one of the studies, said one factor was how diets had changed.

"Over the course of 30 years, different countries have really migrated from traditional food habits — maybe eating more fruits and vegetables, eating healthier greens — to more highly processed foods," she told AFP.

The research also estimated that by 2045, three quarters of adults with diabetes will live in low- and middle-income countries.

But even in wealthy countries such as the United States, diabetes rates were almost 1.5 times higher among minorities such as black, Hispanic, Asian or Native Americans, a separate Lancet study said.

Study co-author Leonard Egede, of the Medical College of Wisconsin, blamed a "cascade of widening diabetes inequity".

"Racist policies such as residential segregation affect where people live, their access to sufficient and healthy food and health care services," he said in a statement.

Ong said "the challenge is that we don't really see one type of intervention that's going to fix everything".

Instead, fighting diabetes will require long-term planning, investment and attention from countries around the globe, she said.

In an editorial, the Lancet said that "the world has failed to understand the social nature of diabetes and underestimated the true scale and threat the disease poses."

"Diabetes will be a defining disease of this century," it added.

Joey G
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Keep investing in big food companies and big pharma, and you will be fine, financially.  It's going to take a lot of junk food to fuel this, and a lot of pills to keep you alive.

I can't find any fast food or drug companies worth investing in.... none that have beaten the overall SP500 over the past 10 years. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a class action suit against them saying they knew the risks but did nothing to warn people from choosing what to put in their mouthes.  

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I just found out my nephew, late 50's, had a partial amputation of his toe, due to diabetes.

• Sad 3

RBM
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I just found out my nephew, late 50's, had a partial amputation of his toe, due to diabetes.

Similar story here, young guy whom tends a coffee shop I visit, toe amputated, slim build. Said was due to drinking endless mountain due......read yesterday Tom Hanks also has type 2.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Not sure it was really necessary to play the "racist" card.  Just my opinion of course.  My comment is directed at the article, not the OP.

"driven by structural racism and gaping inequality between countries,"

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

Not sure it was really necessary to play the "racist" card.  Just my opinion of course.  My comment is directed at the article, not the OP.

"driven by structural racism and gaping inequality between countries,"

Agree.  They should focus on the dietary differences.

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

On health benefit to risk ratio I was watching an interesting blog the other day where each illness had a risk weighed against it and the effects that exercise played. These were risks charted against people with similar comorbidities who exercised against those that never and the differences were massive.  Every single condition where the participent exercised had a far better outcome. There were some people though who had a genetic disposition to certain things that showed only slight improvements.

Not the actual blog but it gives an idea how life choices are important.  All I know is I used to live on Chinese takeaway food and alcohol but trained a good few hours per day and was extremely fit and healthy. Now I eat healthy, don't drink and only train about an hour per day but leave many of the youngsters here standing fitness wise.

https://web.facebook.com/reel/2119339324928248

As a side note in the military I was fortunate enough to be in a position where they never cared about your excuses for being unfit, you were still made to train, we even had one guy who was a storeman attached to us who was medically downgraded as he only had one lung.  He was made to join us on phys every morning at 6am and just try his best. He would try to drop out after about 100yds but be pushed along, within 6 months he was at the front of the squad abusing those at the rear who couldn't keep up. I must have seen a good 20 or 30 guys who were on the scrap heap who after forced training got back into full health and pretty much said it saved their lives, of course it's a different World now so I doubt it's still happening. . 

• Like 4