Teacher Absent from Work for 20 Years

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

There is a story in PhilStar Life about a professor who finally got sacked after skipping work for 20 years.  She was "completely absent," according to the story, for the first 10 years and "mostly absent" for the next 10 years.  She had used a combination of holidays, sick leaves, maternity leaves, personal and family reasons to avoid going to work.  I assume she showed up to collect her salary.  Love the Philippines. 

I am more familiar with ghost employees working for the municipal government.  A new mayor is elected and he now wants his followers to takeover the administrative jobs.  Labor laws make it difficult to terminate the previous group, so they simply continue paying them a salary while staying at home.

• Sad 3

Possum
Posted
Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

I am more familiar with ghost employees working for the municipal government.  A new mayor is elected and he now wants his followers to takeover the administrative jobs.  Labor laws make it difficult to terminate the previous group, so they simply continue paying them a salary while staying at home.

I am told of one mayor who has a residential development. Small houses and lots, about 70m2 each. Employees were expected to buy into this development for 3500/month for 20 years or choose to be unemployed. So, if a new mayor is elected this could cause these employees problems. Of course if a relative of the mayor is elected life goes on.

Edited by Possum
spelling
  • Sad 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I suspect there is a bit more to the story than meets the eye.  It's beyond belief that she was able to get away with this (even in Italy) as her colleagues at least would have been up in arms 

Given it's Italy I wouldn't be surprised in there was some Mafia-type or similar involved.