The Sistine Chapel comes to Manila

Lee
Posted
Posted

Coming to Estancia Mall this July is the globally popular “Michelangelo’s Sistine Chapel: The Exhibition,” which has been packing in viewers around the world since 2016. Soon, the Sistine Chapel will make a landing in Manila.

“Michelangelo’s Sistine Chapel: The Exhibition” offers a face-to-face encounter with the Italian artist’s crowning creation for the Vatican with 34 high-quality, actual-sized panels. Like lifting the frescoes off the ceiling of The Vatican, and bringing them down to eye level, you get a close-up look at every masterful brushstroke and contour of the Biblical panels that took four and a half years to execute. And yes: selfies are practically mandatory.

The man behind this eye-popping exhibit is Martin Ballias of SEE Global.

“The appeal of this show is very simple,” he says on a Zoom call from LA. “We're basically allowing people to experience something that they just could not see or do otherwise.”

Not all Filipinos have a chance to visit The Vatican, but those who have may recall waiting in long lines in the heat, jostling with thousands of visitors, and not being able to take a single photo of the brilliant artworks perched 60 feet above them on the Sistine Chapel ceiling. “The guy worked almost five years on a scaffolding to paint this beautiful art—and they're all the way up above you, almost like a postage stamp,” notes Biallas. “And then 15 minutes later, you’ve gotta leave.”

Pasted in part of another article.

Tickets are available at SM Tickets, with the following categories:

Adult (weekday): P680

Adult (weekend): P780

VIP (can skip queues): P990

Group ticket for 6: P3,450

Born in 1475, Michelangelo was a sculptor, painter, and architect widely considered to be one of the greatest artists of the High Renaissance, the period which saw exceptional art production in Italy.

"His work demonstrated a blend of psychological insight, physical realism, and intensity never before seen," the Sistine Chapel Philippines says on its website.

Michelangelo’s Sistine Chapel: The Exhibition will run until Sept. 30.

FIRST LOOK: Here's what you need to know about 'Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel' exhibit in Manila • l!fe • The Philippine Star (philstarlife.com)

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

My wife and I have visited the Sistine Chapel before and after the cleaning.  Personally, my preference is the old, stained yellow image (due to the candles used).  It feels more appropriate to the time period.  The problem they encounter is the number of daily visitors.  As visitors exhale, their breathe increases the humidity inside the chapel.  This contributes to the deterioration of the frescoes.  Officials are dismissive because the amount collected from entrance fees is huge.

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I'll admit when I went to the Vatican I was personally discusted by the obscene wealth on display. There were so many artifacts lining the corridors you wouldn't take them all in, many of which were spoils of war. 

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

There were so many artifacts lining the corridors you wouldn't take them all in, many of which were spoils of war. 

All the Roman era marble statues had fig leaves covering sensitive areas.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Just now, JJReyes said:

All

I believe the fig leaves were added on at a later date when a more puritanical era was offended...or that might just be an urban myth :whatever:

hk blues
Posted
Posted
On 7/1/2023 at 9:01 AM, scott h said:

I believe the fig leaves were added on at a later date when a more puritanical era was offended...or that might just be an urban myth :whatever:

Not an urban myth - the addition of fig leaves to existing statues started in Italy in the mid 15th Century. 

• Like 2

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

The Creation of Adam by Michelangelo

For those who don't already know, the gray cloud serving as background for God and angels is a representation of a human brain as seen from below and to the left. It's just one of the "Easter Eggs" Michelangelo included in his works. The implication, of course, is that God is a product of human imagination.

• Like 3

Lee
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Guy F. said:

The Creation of Adam by Michelangelo

For those who don't already know, the gray cloud serving as background for God and angels is a representation of a human brain as seen from below and to the left. It's just one of the "Easter Eggs" Michelangelo included in his works. The implication, of course, is that God is a product of human imagination.

A little more info on the a juxtaposition of God and the human brain.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/michelangelos-secret-message-in-the-sistine-chapel-a-juxtaposition-of-god-and-the-human-brain/#:~:text=Meshberger speculates that Michelangelo surrounded,also with supreme human intelligence.

• Like 1