Cain toads

gbmmbg
Posted
Posted

Well they are back again. I hate to kill anything that eats bugs and mice but my dogs won't leave them alone. 

20230624_110711.jpg

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Deadly for dogs.

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

We have infestations of these in Australia, as kids we'd play cane toad golf with my father's old clubs.  They were imported into Australia to kill off some bugs that fed on sugarcane, hence the name "cane toad".  

Yep, deadly if your cats or dogs eat one.  We used to spray their backs with a water of mixture of water and Dettol if they ventured into the our yard, it kills them off.  I'm sure any over the counter antiseptic would work though.  

Dettol Antiseptic Antibacterial Disinfectant Liquid 500ml

Does the above sound a little cruel?  If it does, you haven't lived through a cane toad plague.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, BrettGC said:

I'm sure any over the counter antiseptic would work though. 

Or Tanduay, Probably cheaper than Dettol.

• Like 1
  • Love it 1
  • Haha 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted

We have a few from time-to-time - they share the cat's food.  The cats don't seem to bother them and ignore them.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I crack them in the head with an iron rod, pick them up with a shovel, and toss them in the ocean.

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

I crack them in the head with an iron rod, pick them up with a shovel, and toss them in the ocean.

My maternal grandfather used to compost them.  His rationale was that they must be at least as good as blood and bone in the veggie garden and it appears he was correct.  He was always ahead of his time.  

https://nt.gov.au/environment/animals/feral-animals/cane-toads/how-to-collect-and-dispose-of-cane-toads#:~:text=You can bury the toad,is a safe natural fertiliser.

They've become ingrained in north eastern Australian culture to the point on selected holidays depending on the region, they even have cane toad races that people can bet on.. 

When I was at uni, a couple of mates and I used to organise these races as part of Australia Day festivities;  we used to make a killing off the foreign students who were fascinated by it.  And yes, we donated the proceeds to the university student union charity of choice.... Minus a beer allowance for the day of course. 

Edited by BrettGC

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

My maternal grandfather used to compost them.  His rationale was that they must be at least as good as blood and bone in the veggie garden and it appears he was correct.  He was always ahead of his time.

I thought about that in the past but I was afraid my dogs would dig them up.

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
55 minutes ago, Mike J said:

I thought about that in the past but I was afraid my dogs would dig them up.

Good point.