Has anyone used EVO-STIK Stay White/Clear Sanitary Silicone Sealant?

Lee
Posted
Posted

Looking for a sealant to caulk the shower area that might not mold within a couple of months after its application. This stuff claims to be the "cats meow" but am skeptical. Has anyone used this stuff or know of a sealant that works long term. Tube is 9 Euros off of Amazon.

EVO-STIK Stay White/Clear Sanitary Silicone Sealant

FEATURES AND BENEFITS

Premium sanitary sealant that stays white / clear for life
Stops mould growth and fungi
Won’t stain, blacken or yellow
Excellent adhesion to non-porous surfaces

EVO-STIK Stay White/Clear Sanitary Silicone Sealant is a high quality, moisture curing sealant that won’t stain, blacken or yellow – leaving bathrooms and kitchens looking fresh and clean for life. It stops mould growth and fungi, and has excellent adhesion to non-porous surfaces, meaning it’s ideal for sealing around tiles and baths, shower trays, basins, kitchen worktops and stainless steel sink-tops.

Suitable materials: Non-porous surfaces such as glass, stainless steel and ceramics, as well as plastic baths and fittings.

Sizes: C20 cartridge.

https://trade.evo-stik.co.uk/products/stay-whiteclear-sanitary-silicone-sealant

stay-white-clear-sanitary-silicone-sealant.jpg.png

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Have not tried but I like the idea of silicon that contains a fungicide.  A fungicide that last "for life" could be stretch?   When my shower tile/grout/silicon shows signs of mold I hit it with a mix bleach and water in a spray bottle.   Wait about 15 minutes and any sign of mold is gone, then rub with a rag and rinse with fresh water.  I use vinegar in a spray bottle to deal with lime/soap film but bleach is the way to go for mold.  Maybe give that a try first?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Gator
Posted
Posted

Having a similar climate, mold in Florida was also an issue; especially in damp n poorly ventilated areas. Although I’m not familiar with the Evo-Stik brand, I have used similar products in the USA and they seemed to hold up quite well. As Mike pointed out, using a cleaner with bleach in it or making your own solution was key to keeping surface mold in check. But what’s also important is surface prep prior to application. Make sure it’s clean, dry and as mold free as you can get it. After cutting out the old caulk I’d spray a 50% solution of bleach into the area, place a fan to ventilate and help it dry, and then just before applying the caulk I’d wipe the area with wood alcohol.

As for yellowing, it depends on the amount of direct sunlight the area gets. Interior areas was never a problem, but exterior ones could be. My old house in the USA had a swimming pool with an outdoor shower and one wall was made of made of glass block. Where the glass blocks butted up to the concrete wall, the clear silicone that was exposed to direct sunlight would start to yellow after a few years. 

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Evo-Stik is a well-known brand in the UK at least - originally for contact adhesive hence the name.