How serious are immigration about deporting overstayers?

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I was talking to a local yesterday who had reported an overstaying foreigner a little while ago. They had apparently emailed immigration plus sent all details to three text numbers on the immigration site. Zero reply to the text and a long winded back peddle from an immigration attorney about being unable to act until the person had raised a formal complaint. 

This got me thinking of a friend I know who has had a few court cases raised against him by an angry ex which culminated in a night in jail, his passport taken from him and a lot of other government involvement yet not one raised the fact that his visa was almost 2yrs out of date. Pretty much everyone in his area is aware he is an overstayer but no one shows as if they are bothered. 

• Sad 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Snowy79 said:

Pretty much everyone in his area is aware he is an overstayer but no one shows as if they are bothered. 

If there was money in it they would care.

• Like 2

mountainside
Posted
Posted

Maybe it takes something like this, reported May 2nd?  

"Barry Lee Jordan, a 48-year-old American, was arrested in Carcar City, Cebu on April 28 for his alleged overstaying in the country for more than seven years. He did not have any travel documents and was charged with undesirability for threatening a bartender with a knife while livestreaming on the internet."

https://mb.com.ph/2023/5/1/bi-arrests-undesirable-american-indian-visitors-1  

• Like 1

gbmmbg
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

raised a formal complaint

Even then nothing will happen unless it goes viral on Facebook.

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Who is going to pay for the cost?  This includes the price of a one-way ticket.  The first step is a tourism campaign with "Love the Philippines" for inbound and "Leave the Philippines" for outbound.  The government then has to allocate money for both.

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, mountainside said:

Maybe it takes something like this, reported May 2nd?  

"Barry Lee Jordan, a 48-year-old American, was arrested in Carcar City, Cebu on April 28 for his alleged overstaying in the country for more than seven years. He did not have any travel documents and was charged with undesirability for threatening a bartender with a knife while livestreaming on the internet."

https://mb.com.ph/2023/5/1/bi-arrests-undesirable-american-indian-visitors-1  

I've seen quite a few of his videos, extremely disgusting individual, he has been locked up for 3 months now in BI Detention.

• Like 1

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Who is going to pay for the cost?  This includes the price of a one-way ticket.  The first step is a tourism campaign with "Love the Philippines" for inbound and "Leave the Philippines" for outbound.  The government then has to allocate money for both.

Many of the overstayers are undesirables that don't get detained and deported until they commit an act of crime. Let them rot in the BI detention centers & jails until their family or responsible government pays the back fees & fines:popcorn: 

Possum
Posted
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, MotorSarge said:

Many of the overstayers are undesirables that don't get detained and deported until they commit an act of crime. Let them rot in the BI detention centers & jails until their family or responsible government pays the back fees & fines

I agree but the problem is those types of people make those of us who jump thru all the hoops and try to obey the laws of the country we choose to live in look bad. I obviously have less patience with them than BOI but BOI is like most law enforcement agencies, lazy. As someone else has mentioned, "When is the last time you saw police patrolling?" The don't. Pay is the same and a lot less paper work. As a wise person earlier pointed out earlier, There is no justice system here, just a legal system as another wise man said. The Filipinos who seek what they think is justice employ two people on a motorcycle and the two people are rarely caught unless a politician is involved.

Edited by Possum
  • Like 3

RBM
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, MotorSarge said:

Many of the overstayers are undesirables that don't get detained and deported until they commit an act of crime. Let them rot in the BI detention centers & jails until their family or responsible government pays the back fees & fines:popcorn: 

From my experience would disagree here. Individual I personally know was charged with unjust verification, appeared in court and suffered a small fine, no mention of his immigration status was ever mentioned. 

I also know quite a few decent individuals whom have over stayed for various reasons, one of which could never be  describe as undesirable. Chose to live quite remotely with wife whom apart from a tight budget  has problems to travel. Another i can think of whom discussed his situation with the barangay as he is involved in community activities, again semi remote. They advised him just carry on. 

Often have wondered just how many there are scattered throughout the country. As I see it the biggest disadvantage is being unable to leave the country.   

• Like 3