LTO to roll out e-driver’s license

Lee
Posted
Posted

If a driver can't access the Land Transport Management System (LTMS) portal account to show their DL during a traffic stop, is this when they reach for the bribe money?

MANILA, Philippines — To address the shortage of plastic cards, the Land Transportation Office (LTO) will be issuing a digital or electronic version of the driver’s license this month, an official announced yesterday.

LTO officer-in-charge Hector Villacorta said the e-driver’s license is in line with the agency’s digitalization efforts and to ensure the efficient administration of the licensing system.

“The digital driver’s license is a valid, secure and an alternative form of identification for persons driving motor vehicles,” Villacorta said.

It will replace the paper-based official receipt that serves as a temporary driver’s license, which is traditionally printed on a plastic card.

LTO’s Memorandum Circular No. HAV-2023-2410, which outlines the rules for the digital license will be effective starting July 26.

Villacorta said motorists can present the e-driver’s license to law enforcers during apprehension for a traffic violation.

Drivers with electronic license will have the same privileges and responsibilities accorded to holders of the physical license, he said.

Motorists will be subject to the same rules on traffic violations, imposition of fines and penalties, the LTO said.

If apprehended for a traffic infraction, the LTO said motorists must present their e-driver’s license accessed through the Land Transport Management System (LTMS) portal account.

Photographs and screenshots will not be accepted.

Apprehended motorists will also be issued a temporary operator’s permit or an electronic TOP, which is valid for 72 hours, after which the driver is prohibited from driving any vehicle.

Motorists may have their LTMS account suspended if they have an unsettled traffic violation.

The Department of Transportation has contracted Banner Plasticard Inc. for the delivery of one million license cards in the next two months.

LTO to roll out e-driver’s license (msn.com)

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Why not add an NFC facility for the driver's licence?  You know, where the card is stored on your phone in much the same way credit/debit cards are these days that you tap and pay with your phone rather than the physical card.  A facsimile of the card is on the phone.  

I know a dozen of Filipinos without smart phones just off the top of my head who would not be able to access their e-version in 72 months; forget about 72 hours.  

Another poorly implemented initiative by the Department of Furthering the Cause of Corruption. 

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Wow, an e-driver's license.  I bet you will soon be able to qualify by doing an e-driver's exam online.  Hmmm.  That sounds like a driving video game.  EVERYBODY in the Philippines gonna pass that one.

• Haha 5

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Wow, an e-driver's license.  I bet you will soon be able to qualify by doing an e-driver's exam online.  Hmmm.  That sounds like a driving video game.  EVERYBODY in the Philippines gonna pass that one.

Nope. It's gonna be real Dave.

sport_1565779806_725x725.jpeg

• Haha 5

Freebie
Posted
Posted

And so after you go to collect your rented car in a country overseas,

" May I see your licence please "... Um sir that licence is  on your phone.. I need a REAL licence.."

"Sorry, but in Philippines they were out of stock of licences"

....Car rental guy rolls on floor laughing.. " Sir Ive heard many stories but thats new and  hilarious.. out of stock...hahahah"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, BrettGC said:

You know, where the card is stored on your phone in much the same way credit/debit cards are these days that you tap and pay with your phone rather than the physical card

Interesting that you say that.. I wanted to try to install Google Pay/Google Wallet on my phone, in advance of a pending trip.

Google Play reply  -Sorry that app is not available in your country

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Freebie said:

Interesting that you say that.. I wanted to try to install Google Pay/Google Wallet on my phone, in advance of a pending trip.

Yeah, mine was set up before I arrived here.  Seems when I buy a new phone and transfer the data it carries across.  Try a VPN?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

The traffic enforcers will now seize your phone for some violations?

Asking for a friend. :no:

• Haha 4

jimeve
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Freebie said:

I get that too. Annoying.

mountainside
Posted
Posted
On 7/13/2023 at 8:25 PM, Freebie said:

And so after you go to collect your rented car in a country overseas,

" May I see your licence please "... Um sir that licence is  on your phone.. I need a REAL licence.."

"Sorry, but in Philippines they were out of stock of licences"

....Car rental guy rolls on floor laughing.. " Sir Ive heard many stories but thats new and  hilarious.. out of stock...hahahah"

Me:  "Thank you Po.  Please arrange a Hertz habal-habal or trycicle instead.  Or can you call a white taxi please?  Can I pay with Grab or GCash or PayMaya please?"  

• Haha 2