Shoe removal returns at NAIA

Lee
Posted
Posted

Manila, Philippines — Air travelers departing for overseas destinations are again required to take off their shoes for security inspection at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA), reviving the more than two decades old policy prompted by a failed terror attack on a passenger aircraft, according to the Office of Transportation Security (OTS).

The “mandatory shoe removal policy,” revived last July 10, is part of the enhanced security arrangement at all NAIA terminals, said OTS spokesperson Kim Marquez.

The global policy dates back to December 2001 in the aftermath of an attempt by a terrorist to detonate a homemade bomb hidden in his shoes while he was on board an American Airlines flight to Miami from Paris.

Alert crewmembers and passengers saw the terrorist struggling to detonate the explosive device and promptly tackled him.

The plane was diverted to Logan International Airport in Boston and where police arrested the terrorist.

Marquez said that on Dec. 1, 2022, all but one security X-ray machines at the NAIA Terminal 1 were removed to give enough room for departing travelers and their luggage during security checks.

“There will be only one security check and that is at the final check right after the immigration area where high-tech X-ray machines, body scanners and metal detectors are in place to ensure all passengers are well screened,” Marquez added.

By removing most of the X-ray machines, the OTS was addressing concerns from some travelers – as relayed by the Manila International Airport Authority (MIAA) management – regarding “too much security check at NAIA.”

The MIAA management said steps should be taken to ensure arriving and departing passengers experience less stress without compromising security at the country’s international airports.

MIAA and the Airport Security Committee (ASC), in consultation with airline representatives and various stakeholders including the Philippine National Police Aviation Security Group (PNP-Avsegroup), unanimously approved in December last year fewer X-Ray security checks at the NAIA but a bigger number of armed personnel and foot patrol with K-9 bomb and drug sniffing dogs at the terminal lobby.

Banned materials would be confiscated right at the check-in counters to avoid or minimize delays in the processing of travel papers.

Shoe removal returns at NAIA (msn.com)

• Sad 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Lee said:

Shoe removal returns at NAIA (msn.com)

Not just at NAIA. Last month (June) when I went to Thailand I departed from CRK and passengers were required to remove their shoes. 

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

The rules at global airports keep changing.  You have to ask each time whether or not to remove your shoes.  At least at American airports, those who have TSA pre-check don't have to remove their shoes and laptops from bags.  They are classified as "trusted travelers" with privileges including a separate line.  The TSA pre-check mark is on your boarding card.

• Like 2

Lee
Posted
Posted

I guess that we should all be thankful that we don't have to remove our skivvies to pass through airport security after the Christmas Day "underwear bomber" incident in 2009. LOL

https://www.ice.gov/news/releases/underwear-bomber-umar-farouk-abdulmutallab-sentenced-life

• Haha 4

baronapart
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, JJReyes said:

The rules at global airports keep changing.  You have to ask each time whether or not to remove your shoes.  At least at American airports, those who have TSA pre-check don't have to remove their shoes and laptops from bags.  They are classified as "trusted travelers" with privileges including a separate line.  The TSA pre-check mark is on your boarding card.

I went through LAX in May. Shoe removal depended on which line you were in. Stupefying...

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
58 minutes ago, baronapart said:

I went through LAX in May. Shoe removal depended on which line you were in. Stupefying...

My wife and I have Global Entry.  One benefit is automatic TSA pre-check.  We then use the line where you don't remove shoes and laptops from your bag.  For the remaining passengers, some receive TSA pre-check given on a random basis.  One criteria used is the length of the lines.  If long lines, more passengers will be given the TSA pre-check because their line is usually short, and processing is much faster.  The mark on the boarding pass is a big check.  

• Like 1